How can I keep the left side bar groups visible all the time

Greg King Posted in General Discussion 5 years ago

How can I modify the left side bar so that the groups I've created stay visible all the time.

Replies
us Rishi B Replied 5 years ago

@~Z~ Man, I don't know what you mean by "thwarting" what you said in this case. There are multiple ways to skin a cat. I simply offered a slightly different suggestion, which I probably should have worded differently. The OP can now feel free to choose whichever method they prefer.

Still didn't "thwart" anything that you said lol.

German Michael Zülsdorff Replied 5 years ago

@Bansh33
Unfortunately I don't see any expansion, just thwarting to what I said. Why not just stick to the Howto?

• Right click the area of interest (the groups area) and choose 'inspect' to open the dev console, the html will be shown accordingly there
  • Open/close the groups menu a few times and watch out for changes in the html
  • with menu open, it looks like
    http://z-mans.net/ossn-reports/3173/groups-1.png
  • with menu closed, it looks like
    enter image description here

Ok, now that we've found the code of interest, it makes sense to use only the common part of both variants in our search which is sub-menu collapse. And voila, the search result will be:
./themes/goblue/plugins/default/menus/sections/newsfeed.php

Opening that file will show the html code again like
http://z-mans.net/ossn-reports/3173/groups-3.png

and we can see that the additional "in" is added by a var named $expend
Investigating a little further shows, that $expend is always part of the Links menu. And since this menu is open all the time, adding the same line of code $expend = "in"; to the groups case below looks promising to do the right job. And in fact it does.

That's all. No guessing this and guessing that - just doing straight what the how-to says.

us Rishi B Replied 5 years ago

to expand on what Z-Man, the easiest way to do this would be to figure out what javascript function is called when that button/control on the left is clicked, since that causes the left side bar menu to be displayed. Then, you could call that function in a body onLoad event so that the menu shows up as soon as the page loads. There's probably a cleaner way to do this using only html/css also.