Data Folder inside document folder?

Robert Augesen Posted in Technical Support 8 years ago

Is there away I can bypass this. Most hosts I have used don't allow this for some reason.

Create a data folder
OSSN needs a special folder to store uploaded files including profile icons and photos. You will need to create this directory.
For security reasons, this folder MUST be stored outside of your document root. If you created it under /www/ or /public_html/, you’re
doing it wrong. Once this folder has been created, you’ll need to make sure the web server OSSN is running on has permission to write to and create directories in it.

Replies
German Michael Zülsdorff Replied 8 years ago

Well, in general I wouldn't go for a provider with a 'hosting style' like that for security reasons. Have in mind that you are responsible for the private data of your members, and in fact there are thousand other providers offering webspace without this limitation.

Anyway, if you just want to check out Ossn, and your main url is MYSITE.com, you can try to install Ossn in a subdirectory like MYSITE.com/myforum/ and choose a data directory like MYSITE.com/mydata/. This should work, I think.

us Robert Augesen Replied 8 years ago

They stated that due to the hosting style they provide they wont allow it

German Michael Zülsdorff Replied 8 years ago

What exactly do you mean with "some reason"?
Did you ask your provider(s) what the reason is, or to create a folder like that for you?