In Theory? Re-Zipping and Installing a downloaded component possible?

G Kroschel Posted in Beginning Developers 8 years ago

Hi, it's been a while, but i wanted to experiment with designing a component.
the only question i have right now, is one of "Theoretically" speaking..

if i download a known good component (from here).
should I be able to simply "UnZip" it (for looking at the files),
and then "Re-Zip" it back. without any changes
and it should install correctly?

I am asking because i have tried this, and for some reason, if i unpack/zip it, then rezip it back, ossn no longer likes it, and i get an "Error= Cannot upload component, make sure it is a valid package."..

but if i just download it, then install it (via ossn installer), it works fine.

is this normal? or possibly a "zipping" problem on my end?
I use a MAC OS X 10.9.3 and compress file.
jfyi.

Thanks for any tips on compressing a component.
i have looked (searched) a bit in the forum, and i can't find anything like this.

Thanks again.
Garrett

Replies
us G Kroschel Replied 8 years ago

figured it out. i used a Windows/PC and was able to see that the MAC OS X was adding an incorrect PATH to the folder i was zipping (by default), PLUS it (the MAC) adds these erroneous files for storage _. (hidden).. Anyways.. i was able to get it to accept, finally. Thanks for all who made suggestions, and offered to help. now i can work at getting it (the component) to function correctly, Lol.! ;) Thanks again.

recap: it was my zip program not set to save the correct ./path in the folder. (MAC OS X)

Thanks again.

Indonesian Arsalan Shah Replied 8 years ago

Please send us your component zip file, we shall try to debug it :

You can send us on email below:

[email protected] 
German Michael Zülsdorff Replied 8 years ago

> it wouldn't necessary to send the file to the 'component store' as the
> files(components) i download work just fine. it's just something wrong
> with how my end is zipping them..

David,
I asked you to upload YOUR zip archive.

I've tried using Mac OS X and Win10/pc, "Compress, iZip, winZip, tar, rar, and 7zx(7-zip)".. always the same thing. I don't know what is wrong, but just "repacking" a known good component that i can download from here fails even.

it wouldn't necessary to send the file to the 'component store' as the files(components) i download work just fine. it's just something wrong with how my end is zipping them..

Anyways, i just wanted to try and experiment with making some components, try to learn something new.. lol and add to the OSSN community. but until i can figure out why i can't zip them, i'll just have to be patient. Thanks for your replies. :) Cheers.

I'll let you know if i succeed, someday. ;) Have a good night.

Indonesian Arsalan Shah Replied 8 years ago

Hmm it should work, maybe the issue is with zipping software, maybe its zip with something else? like zip gz or highly zipped.

Did you tried to zip with other tool? Can you check if there may something in error_log file?

Try WinRAR for Mac and do the zip with it.

OSSN component package is a simple ZIP archive ^_^

Let us know if it works or not.

Thanks

German Michael Zülsdorff Replied 8 years ago

What component are you talking about?
Why don't you simply make your zip available in the component store and we can have a look?

Thanks for the reply, Eric.

I guess i'm stuck now without a way to properly finish a component.

I tried zipping on an almost brand new Microsoft/Windows machine as well, same problem.

i'm stumped. for now. anyways, Thanks for the reply.

Cheers

French Eric F. Replied 8 years ago

Hi Garry,

Yes, it's a problem whith your zip.
I don't have a mac so can't test, but on my side (w10) I make it with 7zip, WinRar is also ok.
Try other compress program will solved your problem.

Thanks - Eric

I'm pretty sure after testing (trying) some more.. that it is something on my end.

are there any "special" options/parameters to pass to the Zip program to compress it the way ossn wants it? I've tried various methods, command line, programs and online, without any success so far.

I'll look for more info/in depth info on here about building components/compressing them to zip files and uploading in the meantime.. thanks for any heads up with this. much appreciated. :)