Each new version brings a lot of work

Sally Kirtomy Posted in General Discussion 8 years ago

I made a lot of customization in my forum. Each time there is a new version then after the upgrade I have to do everything again, which costs me a lot of work.

For that reason I will not go to version 4.2 yet. Is there any possibility to avoid such 'extrawork' like changing colors, re-installing add-ons etc.?

Kind regards
Sally K.

Replies
Indonesian Arsalan Shah Replied 8 years ago

XAMPP don't have publichtml i think , make sure if errorlog file is present,

German Sally Kirtomy Replied 8 years ago

I receive no error - it does not show up anything. I installed OSSN into /htdocs/public_html and OSNDATA into /htdocs . All I get is a blanc screen....

Regards
Sally K.

What error do you get on XAMPP? it is good for windows, ( i would never recommend you wampp)

German Sally Kirtomy Replied 8 years ago

Thanks for the good answer, Arsalan,

it would be a good idea to test that on a localhost, but obviously OSSN and Xampp do not fit together.... Is there any localhost software to test that?

Thanks
Sally K.

Hello Upgrade isn't really hard as you are thinking please follow below steps if you wanted to keep your colors.

1.) Download OSSN v4.2
2.) Remove themes directory if you modified themes , remove components directory if you modified components from the OSSN v4.2 package.
3.) Replace your old files with new one (news files/folder didn't have themes. component folder because you deleted)
4.) Run upgrade/upgrade.php

Please take backup before following steps below as these aren't official steps.