Why was OSSN singled out regarding supposed "copyright infringement" re: FB theme?

Curt Guldenschuh Posted in Theme Development 8 years ago

I'm not trying to put anyone on the spot I am just trying to get a correct understanding regarding the supposed copyright infringement with the Facebook style theme. I read what has been posted here and that need not be repeated. However, things just don't add up. I searched Google and found nothing regarding any kind of conflict. I also see that other networks are continuing to utilize a Facebook style theme...IsVipi, HumHub, etc. For one thing if OSSN was the one one challenged on this then it is discrimination. Second, there is not really much of anything Facebook could do unless they had a copyright registration for the theme style. All they could do is whine and moan. So how is it that OSSN seems to be the only one that has to dump the theme? I like the theme. It's clean, simple, easy to work with. I've already given my opinion of the other theme that's being pushed in the new versions of OSSN. It just seems like there is a different agenda regarding the theme. I'm just wanting to understand what is really going on with it because the whole situation isn't settling comfortable with me. It just seems amiss. I'm not complaining and I'm not pointing fingers...I'm just making a simple statement about how it appears from this side. Thanks.

Replies
us Curt Guldenschuh Replied 8 years ago

To give you an idea of my plans for my use of OSSN, my wife and I were recently inducted as partners in my publishers book publishing business. I would like to set up a site where the three of us along with our clients can collaborate.

Indonesian Arsalan Shah Replied 8 years ago

Hi, I have checked the theme and found that it only missing icons from search page, if you list the issues on the theme i shall look into it and fix , Please report all issues one by one on https://github.com/lianglee/oinitial/issues/new

My OSSN site isn't fully furnished yet, but if anyone cares to take a look it can be found at...
https://cegsdesk.sytes.net/ossn/

I appreciate you.

I completely understand the situation. I shall look into the theme.

Look around brother...I've seen at least a half dozen different systems that were at least as similar to FB and the theme for OSSN. I'm not trying to be an ass...it's just that the theme is so easy for so many people to work with. It's not like the old days. Nowadays the majority of social networkers can barely get past turning their phone on and smacking an icon.

Personally, besides the theme being easier on my 60 year old eyeballs, I like that it's unobtrusive yet functional. I'm not having to look at some kind of cartoon in order to get the info that I'm looking for. The theme just simply is easy to work with and stays out of the way of what the real focus is for the site.

All in all, I wish you continued prosperity with your project.

Hello Curt, sorry for late reply, i shall look into facebook theme and push update to github in 1-2 days. Actually other social network themes are not much similar to facebook but OSSN facebook theme is more similar to facebook.

I shall look into the theme and push to github.

With all due respect...I think you either missed my question or just tactfully avoided it. You keep stating copyright infringement...I don't see where. If this situation exists then OxWall, IsVipi, HumHub and a number of other frameworks would be ditching their fb style themes. It's not happening. It just looks like a matter of someone's personal preference to not support the theme on OSSN anymore. And I doesn't look like that questions is going to get answered so I'll just leave it at that.

And yes, it works on 4.2. The New theme isn't working properly for me. topbar icons are not showing...along with a couple other problems. You may delete this thread.

Facebook theme is still supported on github repository, last time i checked it worked on v4.1 i didn't tested yet on v4.2 The decision was to remove it from our core team due to facebook copyright infringement.

If you face any issue on facebook theme you can report it to github repository of facebook theme.

^_^