Need help with picture upload - unsure of what to do.

tony skye Posted in Technical Support 8 years ago

Any ideas? The pictures are within type and size restraints. Words are typed into post, but pictures still won't post. Pictures will not upload to any part of site (including profile, albums, and posts). Tried different browsers, didn't work. Pictures will not upload to pre-existing posts, either. This is the last block of .htaccess

<IfModule modphp5.c>
php
value memorylimit 128M
php
value registerglobals 0
php
value postmaxsize 8388608
phpvalue uploadmaxfilesize 5242880
php
value default_charset "UTF-8"
</IfModule>

my host limits are set higher.

http://www.mind4books.com/

Any help would be much appreciated.

Oddly enough, the error log only talks about TimeZone stuff.

[14-Oct-2016 00:54:48 UTC] PHP WARNING: 2016-10-14 00:54:48 (UTC): "strtotime(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are required to use the date.timezone setting or the datedefaulttimezoneset() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone." in file /home/tcskye1023/publichtml/components/OssnProfile/ossn_com.php (line 311)

I haven't fixed this yet, but I just can't see how this would have anything to do with a picture.

Replies
German Michael Zülsdorff Replied 8 years ago

That's good news, Tony! But your conclusion sounds a little too mystic to me.

Actually, I was unable to upload pictures larger than 50k yesterday.
Today I can. And without any change here on my laptop.

So my idea is that either your server had some temporary issues, or your provider has removed some upload restrictions. As Ossn has been verified to run smoothly on all currently avaible devices and operating systems.

Any way: It works. Have fun.

us Tony skye Replied 8 years ago

Windows 10 was the culprit on both machines in my house. Went to a friend's house, and Windows 10 did the same thing. Went home, rolled back one of my machines to an earlier update, and can upload pictures now. Not certain exactly what the latest update did, but it caused me problems. Anyway, thank you everyone.

us Tony skye Replied 8 years ago

Thanks for the advice. And thank you to the person who attempted to reproduce the problem. Apparently, there is something on my local machine preventing it, as they were able to post pics just fine.

German Michael Zülsdorff Replied 8 years ago

Thanks for providing some useful information right from the beginning. :)

It looks like your server's PHP upload_max_filesize is limited to a very small value.
At least uploading of smaller images (< 100k) is not a problem (see Honey's account)

Depending on your server configuration overwriting default values via .htaccess may not work. Some providers offer a different way instead. You can try to

• create a new file named php.ini in your Ossn root
  • open that file and insert the following 2 lines

post_max_size = 8M
upload_max_filesize = 5M

• Save the changes and try another upload

If this method still doesn't help, please consult your provider and ask him for a supported way to make these settings available.