User rest password & invite friend php error

billy dominguez Posted in Beginning Developers 4 years ago

Hello, i am currently having problems getting my site to send an email to the user when trying to reset the password and i am also having trouble with sending an invitation email. if you can point me in the right direction that would be amazing

Replies
us Rishi B Replied 4 years ago

it sounds like maybe you should first familiarize yourself with the different types of mail delivery options that exist (e.g. an MTA like sendmail/postfix vs. a 3rd party SMTP server). if you want to use the former, you'll have to ask your webhost for configuration help. if you want to use the latter, you need to setup an external SMTP server somewhere (or use an existing one), and then install/configure the SMTP component on your ossn site. if you need a 3rd party smtp server for free (at low volume), smtp2go.com is an excellent option in my experience.

German Michael Zülsdorff Replied 4 years ago

Ossn doesn't come with its own mail server, it is trying to make use of already available channels.
In case of trouble that means:
- if you're running Ossn on a shared host: ask your provider for assistance
- if you're running Ossn on your own server: set up a mailer like Postfix and ask for help in a Postfix or any mailer software dedicated forum
Alternatively you may install the Ossn SMTP client component available at https://github.com/opensource-socialnetwork/SMTP and establish/use a connection to a 3rd-party SMTP mail server.

Aside from that: please provide your error_log file showing the php error(s) you were mentioning.