Adding a layer of security

Kevin B Posted in General Discussion 3 years ago

I'm not looking for an answer here, just putting it out there looking for some discussion on feasibility.

Essentially, splitting the OSSN across two servers. A front-end server that displays the pages and a backend server that handles the database lookups.

In the cloud world, this would allow you to restrict access to the backend servers to only receive requests from the front-end servers. This adds a layer of security, stopping people directly accessing the OSSN backend.

Also would allow easy granular scaling up should there be the traffic demand.

The API is probably the way to go, but I'm finding it much easier to work with OSSN directly now than the API.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Thanks all
Kev

Replies
gb Kevin B Replied 3 years ago

Ok that answers that then 😁

Indonesian Arsalan Shah Replied 3 years ago

@Bob 😂😂😂

Kevin you seems talking about a applications like a vue / react.js where data is loaded via api / ajax request etc. In OSSN it is not possible as many data is loaded and generated via php run time.

Oh right. I don't think the voting machines are their biggest problem lol

German Bob Weston Replied 3 years ago

It is the company who makes the voting machines that have caused all the chaos in the USA election by have remote access in Spain and some other access in Frankfurt Germany.

No idea who that is i'm afraid?

German Bob Weston Replied 3 years ago

Hi Kevin,

I take it you work for Dominion?

Yeah I think it's fairly typical to support that scenario. I'm thinking more along the lines of splitting the pages that do all the nice stuff onto front-end, and then all the grunt work being done on a remote server. As an example, you'd first hit the login page on the front-end server (chalk) over the public internet and enter username/password. When you hit send, it posts the request to a page hosted on a backend server (cheese). That server then queries the database, and returns your token if you are a valid user.

Managing the cloud hosting, you could secure (cheese) to only accept traffic from (chalk).

This would add a huge amount of security to the process and could promote the software as cloud ready?

It probably made more sense in my head. Lol

Indonesian Arsalan Shah Replied 3 years ago

OSSN support Database on remote server and (data and ossn files) on one server.