Possibility of adding username/name limits and image compression? (suggestions)

Jeremy Burke Posted in General Discussion 8 years ago

Hello, I am a unsure of a proper way to post this.

While most of OSSN is great I've noticed a few places that could be improved on and those are managing the length of names (users can put in very long fictitious names), staking combining marks (aka zalgo text), and lastly image compression/conversion.

The combination characters is a big one though because users can join a site and essentially obscure posts with their user name. Which can be a bit of a headache for admin to have to deal with.

The image compression is a small one but could be useful for those who have limited bandwidth. Converting png files to even a quality 80% jpg (or a lossy gif to keep transparency) could save a ton of loading time for those visiting a site that runs OSSN. Some sites use image magick/imagick to do this.

These are just suggestions that I think would improve OSSN-based sites. Though I do wonder if a username limit can be added easily or if this would be a difficult task?

Thank you and sorry about the rambling.

Replies
German Michael Zülsdorff Replied 8 years ago

Hi Jeremy,

first of all: noone here has to feel sorry about a constructive posting like yours.

Then, it seems you are still referring to Ossn 3.x. Because with 4.x we're already taking massive care about the handling of longer user names:

1. large displays: the default fontsize is used
  2. smaller displays: the fontsize is reduced
  3. very narrow displays: the username is truncated

http://z-mans.net/ossn-reports/username-handling.jpg

Regarding images: Ossn is making use of image compression already - not by imagemagick, but using some PHP GD-library functions instead.

Simply grab yourself a copy of the latest 4.0 release candidate, it's worth a look. :)