Is there no mobile mode in the FaceBook type themes?

Curt Guldenschuh Posted in Theme Development 8 years ago

Am I mistaken or is the mobile mode only set up for the new theme? Is it not available for the OSSN First theme or any of the FaceBook type themes? Or am I just missing a setting someplace?

Replies
ph Huck Jones Replied 8 years ago

Oh and I was actually refering to this component:
https://github.com/serbanghita/Mobile-Detect

That being said, there's no such "switch" in the OSSN core as you mentioned, though as I've mentioned before I was only wondering if it can be implemented at all.

No, I don't intend to whine about things either. I was just wondering if it's possible to switch themes on demand at all, or if it calls for an overhaul of some sort. My gut tells me it can be done, but still...

German Luzi Fahell Replied 8 years ago

According to what I learned, lacking precision is the basis of all misunderstanding. But being no English or at least American native speaker, I might have got everything wrong, of course.

So I summarise: you are the cold and edged Bauhaus type while I'm a little bit daintier.

That's okay with me, specially since, in these words, it sounds a lot friendlier than your claim to absoluteness, doesn't it.

So long, and thanks for all the fish. :-D

us Curt Guldenschuh Replied 8 years ago

Apparently text interpretation doesn't come through well across borders. I'm not grousing or bitching. I'm just simply stating my opinion with no malice intended. Don't read into something what isn't there.

Sure the theme functions...I had no problem there. To me the theme is butt ugly. I don't like cartoonish looking things. It looks clunky and is an aesthetic turn-off. I prefer the sharp lines and uncluttered appearance of the fb like theme. Plain and simple.

German Luzi Fahell Replied 8 years ago

I'm running the new version for one week now and, thus, thoroughly tested it. Up to now, I didn't and don't see any problems, neither in function nor design. Regarding functionality and usability, it is the best you can get, so far. And design... well, well.

Design, however, will always be a question of personal liking. Whatsoever colour or style the designers and programmers decide to implement, there will still be some people who would rather have another one.

So why, for heaven's sake, all this grousing and bitching?

Besides, though this won't be of any help to you, Huck and Curt:
I just LOVE v4. Thank you to Arsalan. And thank you to the team.

Indonesian Arsalan Shah Replied 8 years ago

@Curt Guldenschuh,

The theme similar to facebook can not be made responsive. It was written in pure css which requires alot of time to make it work on mobile. This is the reason we made other theme.

You are welcome to use other open source framework.

Hope you understand.

Thanks

us Curt Guldenschuh Replied 8 years ago

My problem is a personal one. I don't like the new theme. I don't like the looks of it. No offense to the producers of OSSN, but I would rather switch to a different framework other than OSSN if I have to be stuck with that new theme in order to have a responsive theme. The majority of my members use their phones to reach my sites. I prefer the more fb like theme. If this is what my options are then I will be looking for some other framework.

German Michael Zülsdorff Replied 8 years ago

Sorry Huck,

but I still don't get the point. Currently, we have 2 themes:

1. GoBlue - running seamlessly on both small devices like cellphones as on large displays
  2. Ossn First - the old default theme, restricted to large displays.

There's no such of a "switch" in Ossn core to make a given theme mobile friendly (responsive) - it's the theme itself which either comes with this functionality or not.

Thus, asking for Ossn First to be responsive is like "Basically I want a car - but with the capability to fly". No way, you'd need a completely new theme then, if you want to merge the old look and feel of Ossn First with mobile friendliness.

Yeah, but there are some who would like to use the other theme (or perhaps a completely custom one), and relegate the Goblue for mobile or tablet users.

German Michael Zülsdorff Replied 8 years ago

The new Goblue theme which comes with V4 has already built in this 'detection' and is adapting the layout of Ossn to the screen size of the device. Where is your problem?