How do I make 2 OSSN with 1 database?

Ryan Howarth Posted in Performance and Scalability 8 years ago

Hi my name is Ryan, and I am fairly new to MySQL databases and PhP. But I was wondering if I could use 2 different websites, they both have different urls, but with the one database so if one website crashes then everyone can go onto the second and still have all their data. I am using a free hosting service which has 1000-2000 requests so it would be useful to have 2 different websites so that when one website goes down for 24 hours, the other one can be used. If anyone can help me with this that would be great. I am using Hostinger as my hosting service, and I am using their MySQL databases.

Replies
gb Peter Lane Replied 1 year ago

So, can we install OSSN on 2 different domains with separate databases (2nd instance for development and testing - to avoid issues with users?) on the same server at no extra cost?

Indonesian Arsalan Shah Replied 8 years ago

You can not install two or more OSSN on same database, you need to create different database.

German Michael Zülsdorff Replied 8 years ago

> ... and when the first site goes down, export the data via sql ...

?!?

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/replication.html

us Jeremy Monroe Replied 8 years ago

What he is asking is can he install 2 copies of OSSN that connect to the same database for redundancy. Can have www.mysite.com and www.mysite2.com that reads the exact same data. The problem with this is that when you install OSSN, it wants to write tables to a database...so not really sure how you could do this. You could install OSSN on two different servers with 2 different databases and when the first site goes down, export the data via sql and then import it into the other database as a sql import. All data will be there before the site went down and can pick right back up.

Turkish Fatih Bayram Replied 8 years ago

I'm not sure if I understand your question but ask your hoster if they allow external mysql connection.