Home link in the topbar and news feed user info

Darry James Posted in General Discussion 7 years ago

Hello to all!
Think OSSN is missing something great that worth for free.
Thanks to OSSN developers. They're doing great so far.
But I think that they're missing these two things.

1 Easy Home Link &
2 Email Users News/Info

What I mean is this: OSSN doesn't have an option a user can click to refresh back to home/newsfeed.
Just like that of facebook. If you're busy in other groups or pages, and you will like going back to home, all you will do is just to click on a "HOME" icon on the topbar and you will be taken back to home. Which is like refreshing.
Secondly, Users email notice. Like when you have system upgrades/shutdown,News,and info to notify for all your members, Admin should just login to dashboard with a list of already registered users, then just forward a notification message to all there mails.
I don't mean to disturb the team. But I hope I have suggested a useful tools/componet that really worth free.
Thanks Geeks, Developers and Fellow members.
I'm looking forward if my idea is accepted or will be considering into development.
Sincerely,
Darry!

Replies
us Edgar Toala Replied 7 years ago

![For whatever reason it didn't show up my code but here is a picture of the code, in line #27

components/OssnNotifications/plugins/default/notifications/page/topbar.php]1

us Edgar Toala Replied 7 years ago

Hi Darry James

I did add this line of code in the line #27 and it work like a charm!!!

components/OssnNotifications/plugins/default/notifications/page/topbar.php

<span><a href="<?php echo ossnsiteurl();?>"><i class="fa fa-home" aria-hidden="true"></i></a></span>

Hope this is what you looking for

German Claus Lampert Replied 7 years ago

@Darry James: I can´t help You further. I would like to help You but until now I don´t understand how to write new components from scratch...

ng Darry James Replied 7 years ago

I actually did this the way you instructed me to do. "For the "Home"-Symbol maybe this could help:
In the file /ossn/themes/goblue/plugins/default/theme/page/elements/topbar.php you can change line 20 to

<span><a href="<?php echo ossnsiteurl();?>"><i class="fa fa-home" aria-hidden="true"></i><?php echo ossnsitesettings("site_name");?></a></span>"

But it happens to appear on my side index homepage either.
I really wanted it to display on home side, after the user might have logged in. Besides , "friend request notification" and messages.
Please take a look at this picture to understand how exactly I mean.

https://www.datafilehost.com/d/3e59d57f

Thanks @Claus Lambert.
I really appreciate your help!
You're awesome!

For the "Home"-Symbol maybe this could help:
In the file /ossn/themes/goblue/plugins/default/theme/page/elements/topbar.php you can change line 20 to

<span><a href="<?php echo ossn_site_url();?>"><i class="fa fa-home" aria-hidden="true"></i><?php echo ossn_site_settings('site_name');?></a></span>
Indonesian Arsalan Shah Replied 7 years ago

Dear Darry, OSSN is free that mean you are free to modify in the way you wanted, the OSSN is created in the way which is suitable for most of people. But we are unable to create separate instance for everyone. If you wish to edit something please have a look at our wiki pages. https://www.opensource-socialnetwork.org/wiki/all

Oh Yes. I hope someone's can modify it indeed!
What about the topbar home icon to refresh.
Or you can help me on exactly where I can get the home topbar.php as to modify the code myself. The home icon should be before the "Friends Icon"
Please you can simply send me a code for it with a font awesome of home, let me place it myself.
Thanks, Looking forward for your help!

I wrote: maybe someone can MODIFY the component. Most of the work is done in this component, only the necessary mail-adresses must be loaded from the user-database instead from a user-input.

Yeah.
I mean, it should have an icon like home button at the topbar without clicking on the site logo. Not every users understand the site logo as home. Or refresh. Make it unique.
Also what I mean by user email notifications is that admin should be able to send customized bulk email to users relating on site information or issues. Not by inviting members, I knew OSSN already has that option.