Please is it possible to remove the Sign up form re-enter email?

Darry James Posted in Beginning Developers 7 years ago

Hi!
Please I would like to remove the user sign up form re-enter email. And make that of the password field be re-enter password.
I tried removing the re-enter email but after that user registration failed to sign up.
I would like to remove the re-enter email field and use re-enter password field.
Any help here will highly be appreciated!!

Replies
German Claus Lampert Replied 7 years ago

I think this component is intended to do what you want: https://www.softlab24.com/product/view/37/user-categories

ng Darry James Replied 7 years ago

Please, I need a dropdown field code to add on my signup page. I want to add another drop down field for users to select there "Departments" which is ; there work field. For example, Web developer, Graphics Designer, Programmer and lot's more. Also I want it to display the user Department on there about page when users click to view there about profile.
Please I'm looking forward for help.
Thanks In Advance!

German Michael Zülsdorff Replied 7 years ago

@claus
please start a new thread either here or at Github regarding this language file strangeness. I can try to investigate what's special with this file then.

Waoh!!
I could say I'm most grateful!
I have resolved it perfectly. I followed all guidelines and it all works. My registeration page have now been the way I wanted it.
Much thanks to @Claus Lambert & @Zet Man for there help so far.

IAppreciate

@Zet Man: You can believe me: everytime I change the file /locale/ossn.de.php there is this error! At this moment I changed the phrase "Email (nochmal)" to "Email (nochmals)" just to simulate it and after saving, my site stays completely white! It´s only this file! I have translated some other ossn.de.php - language files, for example the forum-component, and I never have a problem with the other files.
Meanwhile I use the component "Custom Strings" when I need to change a phrase originally in /locale/ossn.de.php

First, there is a little error in my code, I wrote "passwort" instead of "password":

File: /system/plugins/default/forms/signup.php
Line 47 add:

if ($user["repassword"] !== $user["password"]) {
    $em["dataerr"] = ossn_print("password:error:matching");
    echo json_encode($em);
    exit;
}

To remove the mail-field:

Line 19 delete:

$user['reemail'] = input('email_re');

delete line 19:

<input name="email_re" type="text" placeholder="<?php echo ossn_print('email:again'); ?>"/>

Delete this section starting at line 41:

if ($user['reemail'] !== $user['email']) {
    $em['dataerr'] = ossn_print('email:error:matching');
    echo json_encode($em);
    exit;
}

Hope it works for You

German Michael Zülsdorff Replied 7 years ago

I don't wanna sound destructive at this point, but to me all this doesn't make too much sense. :)

The complete password recovery mechanism is based on a 100% verified and correct email-address.
If you have a typo in your email and you don't remember your password, there'll be no way to reset it, because OSSN is asking for the your email-address.

@Claus regarding language file editing: Simply turn on error reporting before editing the file. You'll get a reliable and helpful message including the line number pointing to the location where you fucked it up.

I tried removing the re-enter field from forms/signup.php
But it stops working on user registration !

Thanks Claus. For a wonderful and well written instrustions.

I have done it the password is now working. But I totally mean to remove the re-enter email field.
I want to use re-enter password to replace it. So there is no need for the re-enter email field again. I only want one input email field. At least that's okay to me.
Please how can I remove that? Entirely.??

And remember: NEVER EVER edit a core-file! Do it on Your own risk!