Some general Questions about OSSN 4 / OSSN 5

J W Posted in Component Development 7 years ago

Hey everybody,

recently i've been working very hard on my customized version of ossn 4.
During that work i had some upcoming questions about the cms.
It would be nice if someone could help me with them. Of course i know the new version ossn5 is in production and i can't wait to see it. So my first question would be:

• Is there already any information about whether the upcoming version will be compatible to ossn4 components? When will OSSN 5 be available?

• I read a bit about the new changes and backwardscompatibility of PHP7. I tried ossn4 on php7 and it works fine so far. Is there any uncompatibility or security risk in using php7?

• Is it true that Ossn sets cookies by default and if so, to use the session Cookies for custom user experience behaviours, are these cookies saved in the database?

-is there any possibility to use a content delivery network domain for static content?
maybe there is kind of a component out there for this, otherwise creating a domain to the ossn_data folder to enter images would be dangerous i think. So in this case should i just bring this domain to the same ossn cms root folder and just take the uri of the targeted object?
(Saving time while content loading when cookies are sent to the same domain with CDN.)

By the way, searching the community forum of opensource-socialnetwork.org is hard.
I just see the message "No friends" when clicking on a second page of my search results.

Replies
ng Moneya Replied 7 years ago

On the CDN aspect you can use cloudflare (by using the cloudflare dns that comes with free cdn) that should increase your site speed.

German Michael Zülsdorff Replied 7 years ago
"... it could be helpful
for you to grap some inspiration or publish the created tools in your Component library. ..."

Since Ossn 4x components will be compatible with Ossn 5, don't hesitate to simply publish your work already right now. (see https://www.opensource-socialnetwork.org/wiki/view/2022/how-to-publish-a-component)

And yes : To me it feels really motivating that someone is using the Ossn framework targeting on something completely different instead of trying to re-invent the Facebook theme another time. :)

German J W Replied 7 years ago

Well first, thanks for your quick replies!

> ....otherwise creating a domain to the ossn_data folder to enter images would be dangerous i think....

Dangerous in case of security issues. Such as we might not let people get access to the ossn_data folder. Well i think i'll find a solution for the cdn topic...

I already feared not to be up date date when my production finishes. That's why i asked for the ossn5 componens compatibility. Another Social network platform is in production? That's great!

I've also been excited to see your plans for creating apps for Android and iOS. As far as i know they are
coming with ossn5?

For my current Project i've been really focusing on the Design part. I want my theme to be very unique The most new functionalities i created for the network are just adaptions of your inbuild components. Such as a likespage, where users can see there liked posts from the main Blog and load embedded items via ajax into the page.
Still a bit buggy working with customized Object Types, Comments Likes etc. I thought maybe it could be helpful
for you to grap some inspiration or publish the created tools in your Component library. When this will still be up to date and work with ossn5 I'll let you as soon as i'm finished.

What does your new platform project differentiate from OSSN?
Is is completely new or are you reproducing the system for PHP7 and other updates?

Indonesian Arsalan Shah Replied 7 years ago

We are also working on new social network platform, it will be for companies and will be of course free.

Indonesian Arsalan Shah Replied 7 years ago

Is there already any information about whether the upcoming version will be compatible to ossn4 components? When will OSSN 5 be available?

Yes since v3.x all components works on latest version and v4.x components will work on v5.x There is no ETA for v5

I read a bit about the new changes and backwardscompatibility of PHP7. I tried ossn4 on php7 and it works fine so far. Is there any uncompatibility or security risk in using php7?

There is no uncompatibility if you use php 7.

Is it true that Ossn sets cookies by default and if so, to use the session Cookies for custom user experience behaviours, are these cookies saved in the database?

OSSN by default didn't use any cookie, howerver in your sever settings some php session_start create cookies , you can disable this within your php settings. (Since we are not using any cookie so no cookie is stored in database).

-is there any possibility to use a content delivery network domain for static content?

By default we didn't support to upload cache files to remote server, howerver if you are programmer you can customize ossn as you needed, please see the remote file transfer:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4655391/file-put-contents-remote-file-sv

....otherwise creating a domain to the ossn_data folder to enter images would be dangerous i think....

The ossn_data folder must be outside of public accessible directory as mentioned in installation documents, i don't think its dangerous, can you explain how do you mean exactly by dangerous?

By the way, searching the community forum of opensource-socialnetwork.org is hard.
I just see the message "No friends" when clicking on a second page of my search results.

There is a bug in search, we shall fix this, howerver you can search in google by putting : opensource-socialnetwork.org before your search query in google search box.