Why Email Verification Doesnt Work At My Site ??

Abel De Crespo Posted in Technical Support 9 years ago

Email Verification on my site doesnt work
if signup & reset password,email verification doesnt send
whats wrong ??

Replies
us Steve Elkins Replied 9 years ago

At the moment I am running this on a Dell Poweredge 2950 server with 2 2.0ghz dual CPU's and 8 GIGs memory with 200 gig scsi drives running windows server 2003

I have another Poweredge just like the one above running a game server with mssql and a website along with the game...That was easy for me to figure out.

I just have never had any luck configuring mail servers to run with a website.

us UWX Administrator Replied 9 years ago

Config site notification email looks fine, but as Syed mentioned mail will not function w/out a mail server on machine. Any old PC will do just fine for a basic linux LAMP server installation, and one such server can run a multitude of applications (web, mail, mysql, php, control panel, +more) and for multiple sites as well. I have one for testing/sandbox use that is a Pentium (NOT even a 2!). It still works, so I just think its fun to still use.

Might I suggest possibly placing an ad in classifieds for a "free for hauling" old or outdated PC, you may be pleasantly surprised at the number of machines available using this method.

Thank you Syed for your response but I have checked out dovecot and it is for linux. I am running Windows server 2003. Sendmail looks way to confusing to setup...Besides it looks like I would have to build another machine just to run the a mail server...So I guess for now I will just wait until I can afford too.

Indonesian Arsalan Shah Replied 9 years ago

@Steve, make sure you have php sendmail or dovecot is running on your server.

Also php sendmail and dovecot is not sending emails to some custom emails , but works on yahoo, gmail etc.

Thanks

Well this is what my basic configuration looks like
Basic Configuration

In the OSSN administration configuration recommended email address (the FROM address) would be noreply@"your domain", or something similar (replace "your domain" with your actual domain name).

Just some advice, I would suggest repurposing an old PC into a linux box (server, not desktop edition) for a LAMP server, once set up you can remove the keyboard, monitor & mouse and just let it run somewhere inconspicuous, still connected to your network. Add a free control panel for administration (such as Webmin), so you can log in from any other PC and administer. You will find this much easier than a windows box, with PLENTY of tutorials for any distribution you choose.

The way email works FROM a server it simply SENDS the mail (created by OSSN) TO the address indicated by the new user, while automatically filling in the "from address" as indicated from your setup by the installation of OSSN.

I am getting old I just watched how to setup Mercury mail and IIs6 with smtp service and now I am really confused...I imagine that in some way the smtp server will have to read the e-mail address from the mysql server side and all of the tutorials I have read and watched doesn't cover that.

Simple Google (or other) search for the MTA installation/configuration of your choice. Although you may have to configure the appropriate ports to work through any firewall(s) you may have in place as well.

Well some day I will figure out how to set it up I am hosting out of my home using yahoo domain service configured to forward all traffic to my static IP that I have at home.

Premium Version

Due to the many requests in the past for additonal features and components we have decided to develope a premium version. Features like Hashtags, Videos, Polls, Events, Stories, Link Preview, etc included in it.

$199 (Life Time)
Learn More

Other Questions