Installation Help using all-inkl.com for hosting

Mela Nie Posted in Technical Support 6 years ago

Hello,

i am from germany and i like to use the ossn. but i have any problems during the installation. so let me tell you from the beginning. i am using all-inkl.com for hosting my server. i have createt an ftp account and a database. then i have uploadet the ossn folder to the ftp. when i get to the installation page it asked me about database user and database name. what should i write in this fields? can somebody help me step by step through the installation? when i would go to the next step i get the issue "Invalid data directory or directory is not writeable" i don't know what this means.

Best regards
Mela

Replies
us Rishi B Replied 6 years ago

to expand on what Z-Man said, the following might help you:

1) the database username/password would probably be given to you by your webhost, so you may want to contact them and ask. these are the credentials required to connect to the MySQL database server.

2) making the data directory writable means you have to use the chmod command. if you have shell access, the easiest way to do this is: chmod -R 777 ossn_data [or whatever name you gave the directory]

hope that helps.

German Michael Zülsdorff Replied 6 years ago

There's a how-to available at https://www.opensource-socialnetwork.org/wiki/view/706/how-to-install-open-source-social-network

1. database name and user: Simply enter those names you had chosen while creating your new database from your provider's panel.