Adding menu header to sidebar

Philip Lozier Posted in Technical Support 3 years ago

I see this question has been asked before, but not answered to any productive end from the few answers I saw. I hope I can find an answer this time.

I need to add a main header to the menu on the sidebar, that drop down sub-menu items can be added to. Yes, I have searched high, and low, through everything trying to figure it out... I'm at a loss. I have struggled through much of this brain-buster trying to get a system I am comfortable launching as a "starter" setup, and am almost there, but not quite. I would really appreciate somebody who knows just telling me the LOCATION I can take care of this, if they just
don't want to give me the answer straight away, because I can't figure out where it can be and, man, have I looked. Actually, been up some 30 odd hours working on this beast while I have the time.

Situation is I have put together over a dozen sub-menus with grids of HTML5 game links on them under different genres with the custom page builder. They all interact perfectly, all is good, ready to rock, and now I jusy need one tiny little item that says "GAMES" on the sidebar so I can use the menu builder to just simply drop them in under there. Would be nice. LOL! Nicer if menu builder had that part in it, too. (hint, hint)... the possibilities would be endless.

Anyway, that kind of rambling is what 30 something hours of OSSN frustration does. Thanks in advance, I hope.

Regards,

Phil

Replies
German Bob Weston Replied 3 years ago

Hi Philip,

I am not a php coder but just doing a little looking around in the code with my visual studio program.
It appears to me that the menu item would have to be registered.
It looks like this is handled by classes or better yet the OssnObject.php in classes.
Not sure if that helps or is even correct but thought I would throw in a few cents because I understand exactly what you are trying to do, create a menu item, not a sub-menu.

us Philip Lozier Replied 3 years ago

Alright... so the code in the answer provided by Arsalan registers a menu item when you're doing a component install, and will also create the category... correct? So... how could I inject something like this without actually having to use the component installer?

Also... is there a way to actually position it where I want in the menu line?

Let's say, just to make this workable for now... so I can't just get the system out to the public already, and until I can hone some skills later... could a category be created as the 2nd category in the side menu, below the main "links" category with a heading of:
"Featured Content" - with, say a star Icon before it... and the first sub-menu item be:
-> "Yub Nub News Hub" - with the newspaper icon in front of it?

Theoretically I would be able to add more sub-menu items with menu builder after that?

If so, maybe you could put the code snippet together and instructions how to pop it in if I send you the URL for the initial sub-menu link along with whatever beer money you might want through paypal?

I'll be your best friend!

I'll tell all the Florida chicks about you!

I'll rename my firstborn after you, whether he likes it or not, and even though he's almost 40!

Come on, man, have a heart! it's important!

yes... i'm begging... i don't do that... it hurts.

Phil

Kevin... that answer isn't even remotely close to what I'm looking to do. I'm lookig to add a menu "category", with an icon, that sub-menu items can be added to using Menu Builder. I've managed to track down a method for most everything else I've needed to do, but this one is killing me.

Also... I'm not building a component... so there's no component to add code to. I need to know where, and how, I would do it within what is there.

Phil

gb Kevin B Replied 3 years ago

That's a little better.

Have you read the answer on the link Arsalan shared?

It has the exact piece of code you need in your component to do exactly what you asked.

Kevin B,

Clear... Concise...

I want to add a menu item to the sidebar... not a submenu item... a menu item that I can put submenu items under.

Where, exactly, and how, exactly, do I do that?

Theme is a modified GoBlack. Site location is at https://yubnubclub.com ... access code "freetheweb21" (without the quotes) is required for sign up.

I can't get any more clear and concise than that.

Now, if I could only get a clear and concise answer. I see the question has been asked before in the past, and none has been given. Sorry I'm not a professional developer, just a guy with an idea trying to put up a slightly modified site.

Phil

gb Kevin B Replied 3 years ago

There is no guide as such. This is a piece of software that has been made available as open source.

If you have a specific question that needs answering, somebody may answer it for you, but please make it clear and concise. I've just read this latest post and have no idea exactly what you are asking?

Soft24 can offer you a paid support option.

Arsalan,

I'm at a loss here as to where to add any items related to that. What I have been editing, i edit by hand, like in the old days... which is basically where I'm from.

Is there any guide as to how to get into these things with more modern methods? I need to get this open to the public. I don't have time to learn from the ground up until after I get at least a basic, decent sytem up for now. Lotta money into it, need it out there, if you know what I mean.

It's not like I'm "totally" helpless... I do have "some" abilities that can be honed later. You are more than welcome to look at what I have been able to accomplish so far. https://yubnubclub.com. You will need to use the access code "freetheweb21" (without the quotes" to create an account to look around. Using the access code to prevent the general public from access until it is ready.

If you have a look, maybe you will see I'm not just being lame and asking for answers to things I'm not trying to work at myself.

Regards,

Phil

Okay. I let's see where this is workable. i am not actually going from a component, or doing a search engine, so something has to be a little different I suppose. Let me experiment and see if I can figure out how to apply it for myself for my need. Trying to apply from the theme default.php doesn't work with url modifications, so let me try and figure it out, and what would need to apply in the " 'section' => " string. I am trying to catch up on being several years behind on these types of things. If I can't figure it out, I'll ask. Thank you.

Indonesian Arsalan Shah Replied 3 years ago

Phil, no offence but when you ask these long description questions its become really difficult and confusing for us to understand what exactly you are looking for.

You should stop mentioning what is not necessary because developers only looking for exact thing your are trying to do and don't have time to read all the reporting in your question. Example the below is not necessary to be asked :

I'm at a loss. I have struggled through much of this brain-buster trying to get a system I am comfortable launching as a "starter" setup, and am almost there, but not quite. I would really appreciate somebody who knows just telling me the LOCATION I can take care of this, if they just
don't want to give me the answer straight away, because I can't figure out where it can be and, man, have I looked. Actually, been up some 30 odd hours working on this beast while I have the tim

Now what i understand now is you wanted a Games Menu and under it you wanted to add a entries inside it.

Example

Games (Top Level)
    - 1 GAME
    - 2 GAME

Then your question is answered here: https://www.opensource-socialnetwork.org/discussion/view/1468/hi-i-would-like-to-add-a-menu-with-a-collapse-bar-in-the-sidebar-menu-how-can-i-do-that

Please next time ask a simply exact need and you will surely get answer if possible.

What does that have to do with the price of pickles??? I just want to put a main item on the sidebar. I have created a series of page menus with page builder. I need:

YubNub Games <<=---- THIS - on the sidebar, so i can put:
Action
Adventure
Arcade
Etc
Etc... <<=--- THIS type of stuff, that leads to pages I made with page builder under it with menu builder. What does Green by green have to do with it. I looked at it. It's green. It's ugly. My color scheme is more suited to me. My top bar is now stationary. My sidebar is now stationary with a scrollbar, and at 300px wide for better mobile display. Why do I want green by green when all I want id that item on the sidebar??? Is there ever a straight answer in these forums... oh.... wait... I've read through them.... no... there's not.

Premium Version

Due to the many requests in the past for additonal features and components we have decided to develope a premium version. Features like Hashtags, Videos, Polls, Events, Stories, Link Preview, etc included in it.

$199 (Life Time)
Learn More

Other Questions