See Mutual Friend Count when Adding friend

William Shoap Posted in Component Development 3 years ago

On the search page, how easy or hard is it to list a persons mutual friends count next to the “Add Friend” button and also on the profile page? Having this may encourage a person to add another person as a friend if they have enough friends in common.

Replies
us William Shoap Replied 3 years ago

@Bansh33 thank you . I think the place it make the most sense to have the mutual friend count next to the “Add Friend” button, where it will influence a person the most

us Philip Lozier Replied 3 years ago

@Bansh33 ... I ahdn't asked you about that, but it could go on the list at some point. I have several things. One at a time. LOL! It was William Shoap who was interested in that at this point. Let's get what we're working on under the belt, and go from there. I can keep you busy for a while :)

Phil

us Rishi B Replied 3 years ago

Phil-

I don't recall offhand if 'mutual friends' was one of initial items you asked me about, but it's easy enough to add. I may already have some code for that actually.

@William Shoap ... EXACTLY! Like what I keep saying about groups! I -RIGHT NOW- have a request from a group owner on facebook who wants to move the ENTIRE MEMBERSHIP of his group on facebook to MY site! it is a group fro his local area, a political watch group, with a few THOUSAND members. He wants to do it because he likes what my site is about, and knows his membership will too!

What happens here? EVERY TIME I bring up groups, I get resistance to adding just the basic features!!! So, I have to tell this guy that there is no support for his moderators (he has several), no informing the group members of new posts, etc, etc.

In reality, I expended thousands of dollars (THOUSANDS) on this site because several group owners were going to migrate directly to MY site. Memebrs in the TENS of thousands. Once they saw the group functionality, they still left facebook... but went elsewhere.

I am starting to sound a little rude, lately, and for this I apologize... to a point. I don't say the things I say to be mean, or derogatory. I want to see this evolve into a better product for EVERYBODY! if they can't, or won't, do it... just SAY SO outright, and admit they just don't want to.

Phil Lozier, you did a good job at explaining this. There are a couple of points I want to add and this isn't necessarily about this component. Please take this as constructive, nothing else.

First, I am disappointed that anyone would think OSSN cannot complete with Facebook or other bigger social media sites. They too, had to start somewhere. How about you stop developing the product if that is the underlying belief. Or at best, just lower the standard and we can all settle for something that will never compete. What's the point? It's not just a hobby for some of us. And if its a business, we treat it like one and want make it better. This means review all feature requests, accept the ones that may have benefit, and if there is not time to build them, put them in a backlog and allow others to vote on them. This will give you an idea of whether it's really a good idea or not.

Secondly, I don't understand why there is are badly toned responses to some of the requests being made here. A lot of us are trying to achieve similar goals in making this product better and using it for our own businesses. And just because it's a good idea doesn't mean it needs to be done right away.

If you want to grow this product, involve your users more. If not, then ok.

Ummmm... ~Z~ Man... yes... one of the VERY FIRST THINGS you see, VERY prominently, is "Are you tired of Facebook, Instagram and Twitter selling your data" on the homepage of THIS VERY SITE, implying this is an alternative. If you only get the implication it is data related, ummmmm... well... my question would be why was facebook, instagram and twitter even mentioned in the first place? If this is not intended to be comparable to them, there should be no mention. If it isn't intended to be the same, WHO CARES if it doesn't steal your data like "they" do?

As to being friended almost instantly on my site... yes... by my wife, and two people who try to drive interaction. it is intended to keep new users interested and entertained. Seeing likes on their posts, being friended, all of that, helps keep people coming back. it is by design. This isn't a hobby to some of us.

@Arsalan Shah ... there may not be a mutual friends count on the button on facebook, but there is on peoples friends lists, suggestions, requests, and various other places. It is seen often in various places. It's not 100% necessary, but if somebody actually makes a friend request it would be nice to see it. It would maybe give an explanaition as to one reason maybe the request was sent.

When, on other networks, I see mutual friends, or mutual groups, listed... I can understand the reasoning for a request to me sometimes. They know similar people, or are in a same group with similar interests. Like I said... niot 100% necessary, but it has driven success for the "big boys", as mentioned earlier.

Phil

Indonesian Arsalan Shah Replied 3 years ago

Sorry William, there is no mutual friends count to Facebook add friend button.

enter image description here

I am fully agree with Zetman, You'll be added as friend with many communities by people you know nothing (Even on facebook too many people add you as friend even you no nothing).

Besides that there is no way OSSN competes with facebook, twitter they, Zetman made it very clear about what it meant on home page.

I won't be developing such a count near the add friend button, or have such kind of plan in near future. So I won't comment to this thread further. (I speak only for my self).

No need to split hairs over this any longer. Just giving my own personal impression. It may mean nothing. It is a perspective.

German Michael Zülsdorff Replied 3 years ago

Okay, so there is no such claim.

If there's a slogan like: You're tired of KFC? - Try Snackies! Does that imply in any way that these snacks would taste like chicken? No, it's simply an alternative you may like or not.

The header of this page is even more precise: Tired of Facebook, Instagram & Twitter selling your data?
The only assumption I can have based on this is: Ossn does not sell my data. Anything beyond may be an idea of ​​yours, but it is not a postulated claim of Ossn.

Mentioning Facebook and Twitter implies that this product is an alternative to them. If it’s an alternative then it has comparable features, enough so that people could make the switch. This is free advice from an outsider.

Premium Version

Due to the many requests in the past for additonal features and components we have decided to develope a premium version. Features like Hashtags, Videos, Polls, Events, Stories, Link Preview, etc included in it.

$199 (Life Time)
Learn More

Other Questions