See Mutual Friend Count when Adding friend

William Shoap Posted in Component Development 3 years ago

On the search page, how easy or hard is it to list a persons mutual friends count next to the “Add Friend” button and also on the profile page? Having this may encourage a person to add another person as a friend if they have enough friends in common.

Replies
German Michael Zülsdorff Replied 3 years ago

If OSSN is to compete with the “big boys” (as it claims it can on the front page of this site)

Oh ... must have missed that. What URL are you talking about?

us William Shoap Replied 3 years ago

Facebook does it for a reason. It may not be your method of selecting friends but it does appeal to herd mentality. Facebook figured this out a while ago and uses it to increase site activity in the form of relationship building. If OSSN is to compete with the “big boys” (as it claims it can on the front page of this site) it must do some of what made the big boys successful and meet some of those expectations.

German Michael Zülsdorff Replied 3 years ago

This may look nice at first sight, but where is the true impact on your decision?

Just one real world example:
Not too long ago I registered at Phil's community and almost instantly got 3 friend requests. For whatever reason. These members don't know me, I don't know them. But they wanted to be my 'friends'. Okay, so I confirmed. And that was that. It didn't trigger any communication or any other kind of 'getting closer'. It is literally just database relationships.
And judge people on that basis? Not my way.

us Philip Lozier Replied 3 years ago

It influences my decision on other social sites. Would be a good add.

Premium Version

Due to the many requests in the past for additonal features and components we have decided to develope a premium version. Features like Hashtags, Videos, Polls, Events, Stories, Link Preview, etc included in it.

$199 (Life Time)
Learn More

Other Questions