NEED ASSISTANCE PLEASE Mod_Rewrite Required

David Lasters Posted in Technical Support 9 years ago

Hello, I just uploaded Open Source Social Network on my webserver www.riohost.net and on the installation page at http://targetbooknetwork.riohost.net/installation/ it is displaying the error MOD_REWRITE REQUIRED highlighted in pink. I do not know what this means and need assistance getting past this error. I also need to know where to add the folder discussed below in this quote from the installation instructions.

"OSSN needs a special folder to store uploaded files including profile icons and photos. You will need to create this directory. For security reasons, this folder MUST be stored outside of your document root. If you created it under /www/ or /public_html/, you’re doing it wrong. Once this folder has been created, you’ll need to make sure the web server OSSN is running on has permission to write to and create directories in it."

Thank You

Replies
Indonesian Arsalan Shah Replied 9 years ago

@David, It seems you are installing Ossn on free hosting service? i am afraid even if you succeed in installing Ossn, there would be email notifcations issue on free hosting.

Try a free hosting from http://www.hostinger.com/ i saw one Ossn website and it was working there.

@Steve, one of our support team member tried to install a Ossn on riohost but it seems riohost have some restriction on mod_rewrite.

@All

If mod_rewrite fails then you have to check 2 things

1. Check .htaccess present in Ossn directory and its valid Ossn .htaccess file
  2. Check if apache mod_rewrite is enabled on hosting.

Even if you bypass installation steps there is no guarantee of Ossn to work perfectly.

No mod_write mean :

1. Pages will not work
  2. Css/Js will not work mean no GUI
us Steve Elkins Replied 9 years ago

There is instructions telling you how to install OSSN...Go to Download then click on Download OSSN now once you are on the page click on the word DOCS at the far right of the screen this will take you to another page with an index of how to install OSSN.

David Lasters Replied 9 years ago

My "www.riohost.net" is taking their mary time in responding to my enable MOD-REWRITE request! I added ?page=settings onto the end of the OSSN install/validate page hoping to skip past the MOD_REWRITE BS and after entering my settings I'm getting 2 errors, one being "all fields required" repeatedly even though I'm filling in EVERY detail, and a second error of

"access denied for user using password YES" BLAH BLAH BLAH

I have gotten this "access denied for user using password YES" for EVERY social network script ive tried to install on this www.riohost.net" server

Which must mean my data base users dont have root access and there seems to be NO way of giving it access in this "riohost.net" ???????

the question is, why is there not any DETAILED outofthebox instructions on how to install this OSSN script listed on this website???? because as you know not everyone is a php expert and the instructions on this site are VERY vague

Indonesian Arsalan Shah Replied 9 years ago

@David, contact your hosting company they have access to enable it.

David Lasters Replied 9 years ago

Ok I used the contact form and contacted support and gave them my webhost credentials and asked them to install the script for me and just received a message back from them stating that they had logged into my server and couldn't install it because of the MOD REWRITE REQUIRED ???. My server is www.riohost.net and i dont have a clue of where to start with the apache modifications and all of that. As far as i know there is no way of accessing such a folder on riohost.net???

us Steve Elkins Replied 9 years ago

Okay I answered this question a few day's ago in an other post You have to go to your apache folder then the conf folder and look for a file called httpd.conf...You can open this file with wordpad...No search for the module MODREWrITE now it it shows #REWRITE remove the # in front of it and then click save...What that did was turn that function on.

Now for the other thing special folder like in xampp the website would need to be in the htdocs folder but as for the special folder that would need to be put in the xampp folder then when you setup ossn you would just direct it to that folder and file Example:

C:\xampp\yourfilename