Free vs paid support and upgrades

John Miller Posted in General Discussion 2 years ago

Good morning everyone. First, let me say this is a very good platform with which to build a social media, especially for those of us who have very limited coding skills.
That being said, I was impressed with the free version and the support that is available in this very forum for the free version so I upgraded to the paid version advertised several otherwise paid components, premium support, premium themes and lifetime license and upgrades.
It is understandable that they cannot get to all the installs on our timeline so I did the install myself and for the most part the script works very well out of the box.
To that point the only actual problem I had with the script (other than those of my own making was the fact that the chat did not work on mobile, but the green by Green theme fixed this problem and provides a nice looking site (Thank you Zman).
Once died installed the paid version there was a few things came up which I contacted their support team about and was told that maybe they would be fixed in future releases.
When it came time to upgrade to the 6x , I upgraded and the upgrade reverted my site back to a free version with a link to the new developer website in the footer. To remedy this I was told to use the old version because my support had ran out.
Eventually they did provide a core update link which broke the site when installed according to their instructions, and is only fixed by replacing the new files back with the 5.6. when I turn in a ticket on this, again I'm told there's nothing they're going to do because my support is run out.
Maybe it's just me, but I was under the impression that if we are to pay for upgrades at work, or have to fix the code or self like some of you are capable of doing, that should be advertised up front?
So somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't lifetime license and upgrades somewhat imply that the site is going to continue to work and the upgrades are going to work as advertised?

This topic has been closed!
Replies
us John Miller Replied 2 years ago

Tamás Varga, I have tried the upgrade from 5.6 pro to 6.1, The results are detailed in my initial post for this thread.

Hungarian Tamás Varga Replied 2 years ago

John: I'm sorry OSSN doesn't work the way you want it to. What I know: I always got a solution to the problem, I have 6.1 PRO running on my OSSN page. Did you get version 6.1 PRO?

Thomas, I have no doubt that the full version 6.1 will work without issue, other than a few things that do not play well with mobile which I am still hopeful will one day be fixed. It is the upgrade issue that has me so frustrated. Like I said, my coding skills are very limited and very outdated actually, I am now a welder fabricator. And if I fabricated gate for a specific environment and it does not work in that environment then it is my responsibility to address the issues and make it work in the environment for which it was fabricated. Maybe that's not a good analogy, but it's all I've got. Like I said it's a good platform and I will pay for an upgrade at some point, but I'm rather hooked on the green by Green theme so beyond the testing site it has to be a version that will work with that, and it actually looks like that's going to be 6.2.

Yes my site did quit working until I restored the files back to 5.6. this is after your upgrade reverted me back to a free version.
I realize that you say paid upgrades now, but I have two screenshots from your website that says free upgrades, the most recent apparently having been changed to indicate free core upgrades.
It comes right after free installation and dedicated support.
As for my favorite theme, I realize it isn't compatible with the newest version yet. I have not attempted to use it with a upgraded test site as of yet for this very reason. However, There are several components that need 6.0 and higher to work, which isn't even the real issue here. When I sent you a ticket about the chat feature and other components not working with the mobile site before the paid support ran out there was still no resolution, not even one of your included themes providing for the functionality that is advertised.
Maybe you hid the switch up in the fine print, which would make me an idiot for not catching it myself, but I try to take things at face value and assume that most people at least try to make their word good as I do. In fact I guess you could say I am an idiot because like I told you in the support ticket that you closed rather than find a resolution, your upgrade script does not work
That said, the platform is good enough that most of us will eventually give in and pay for the files that will work, but I hold it what I said, this is a case of false advertising.

Hungarian Tamás Varga Replied 2 years ago

I also got an update to 5.6, I wrote to support and got help. I was able to upgrade to 6.1 by simply putting in 6.1 and using the base theme. The database also survived and the entries worked. Fresh installation works, upgrade is not good for me. I have been a PRO owner for a year now, I have always received help from support. I need to do what the support says and it will work for you.

Indonesian Arsalan Shah Replied 2 years ago

@John, as I repeated multiple times in tickets let me repeat it here again.
Open https://www.openteknik.com/license/commercial-license-v1 See the upgrades section.

The paid upgrades provided for 6 months only. The product license lifetime mean means it will work for lifetime once installed. Now if you wants paid upgrades its cost as per agreement.

Eventually they did provide a core update link which broke the site when installed according t

I asked you to check error logs which you haven't checked and provided any error logs, because the support expired we told you that we can not debug the issue as support period expired.

Since you have v5.6 simply open a License.txt file and find the Upgrades text you will know it.

So somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't lifetime license and upgrades somewhat..

So your website stopped working? As I understand your website works fine with v5.6 and Update breaks your site since it breaks your site you never know if it is working or not. So you are making wrong assumptions.

Further green by green theme is not yet available for the latest version of OSSN. So you may be also trying to use same theme with v6.1 core update causing issues, besides that many components must be upgraded or disabled before the upgrade (from community).

Premium Version

Due to the many requests in the past for additonal features and components we have decided to develope a premium version. Features like Hashtags, Videos, Polls, Events, Stories, Link Preview, etc included in it.

$199 (Life Time)
Learn More

Other Questions