Free vs paid support and upgrades

John Miller Posted in General Discussion 2 years ago

Good morning everyone. First, let me say this is a very good platform with which to build a social media, especially for those of us who have very limited coding skills.
That being said, I was impressed with the free version and the support that is available in this very forum for the free version so I upgraded to the paid version advertised several otherwise paid components, premium support, premium themes and lifetime license and upgrades.
It is understandable that they cannot get to all the installs on our timeline so I did the install myself and for the most part the script works very well out of the box.
To that point the only actual problem I had with the script (other than those of my own making was the fact that the chat did not work on mobile, but the green by Green theme fixed this problem and provides a nice looking site (Thank you Zman).
Once died installed the paid version there was a few things came up which I contacted their support team about and was told that maybe they would be fixed in future releases.
When it came time to upgrade to the 6x , I upgraded and the upgrade reverted my site back to a free version with a link to the new developer website in the footer. To remedy this I was told to use the old version because my support had ran out.
Eventually they did provide a core update link which broke the site when installed according to their instructions, and is only fixed by replacing the new files back with the 5.6. when I turn in a ticket on this, again I'm told there's nothing they're going to do because my support is run out.
Maybe it's just me, but I was under the impression that if we are to pay for upgrades at work, or have to fix the code or self like some of you are capable of doing, that should be advertised up front?
So somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't lifetime license and upgrades somewhat imply that the site is going to continue to work and the upgrades are going to work as advertised?

This topic has been closed!
Replies
German Michael Zülsdorff Replied 2 years ago

enter image description here

us John Miller Replied 2 years ago

I was referring to ossn6.2
I don't see a zip on it yet, I'm assuming that's because it's still in dev?

No idea what missing zip file you're talking about?

Ok, that's what I thought.
Computer is down so doing everything from my phone just now.
It seems that putty commands don't work well with cpanel terminal, so looks like I'm waiting for a zip file to be released.

I was under the impression that the new GbG would only work with
ossn6.2...

Correct - as documented on GreenByGreen's About page https://comz.z-mans.net/group/105/about

Michael.
Thanks, I was under the impression that the new GbG would only work with ossn6.2 so was waiting for that release.
I will be happy to try it on current release.
Will do that after work today.

... As I said, I will buy the next version that works with GbG ...

To give an update on this part: I already provided a first GreenByGreen 6 preview in February, but until now no one was willing to try it. From my side I can therefore hardly give a guarantee when and with which Ossn release it will run.

Thanks for trying to help Micheal, but that isn't the case.
I ran the upgrade script included in the core upgrade download provided by Open Teknik. And followed the upgrade instructions to the letter, including changing the theme to goblue before uploading the new files.
Support confirmed that the premium kernel was left out of the core upgrade package. I am told that the kernel is now included, but again, following the instructions to the letter the upgrade break's my site, and I have to restore the 5.6 file's to get it back which leaves my test platform with script version 6.1 and file version 5.6. To date the only way I can guarantee a successful upgrade is to pay for 6 months support so I can download the newest full version which isn't compatible with Green by Green (so I would be paying for the script to test components only).
Goblue isn't a bad theme, but GbG is more user friendly and the chat feature only works on GbG, no other theme delivers the function, at least not on mobile site.
As I said, I will buy the next version that works with GbG, but it will not be for support, only for functionality.
Again, thanks for the effort.

us Michieal ~ Coder ~ Replied 2 years ago

John, it sounds like you put the free version of 6.1 over your pro version of 5.6. (Obv. correct me if I am wrong.)
To sympathize, I was very much hooked on the GoBlack them that stopped being supported after 5.2. When I went to 5.6, GoBlack broke my site. So, I do get it and I get what you are going through there.
I've not used the Green theme... But I have made my own themes for OSSN. A good starting point, is to take the GoBlue theme (as it has everything that OSSN needs, to function) and you change the colors to what you want it to look like.
Doing that, takes the "coding" aspect out of the equation, and it's just putting in color values into the 2 CSS files.
And, to make that easier - you can google all kinds of colors to plug in.
Don't know if you have considered something like that, but... if you give it a try, you can make it look (at least somewhat) close to what you want.

Hungarian Tamás Varga Replied 2 years ago

John: Suggestion: Delete all content in publichtml /. OSSN 6.1 PRO decompression to publichtml /. Open the domain in your web browser and enter what you want. When you're done, log in to your domain's admin interface and set the basic OSSN theme, then check the feed, you should keep the old post.

Premium Version

Due to the many requests in the past for additonal features and components we have decided to develope a premium version. Features like Hashtags, Videos, Polls, Events, Stories, Link Preview, etc included in it.

$199 (Life Time)
Learn More

Other Questions