Changing php-version: affects OSSN?

Erwin Maas Posted in Technical Support 9 months ago

When I change the PHP-version in my hosting-package with Cpanel, does that affect OSSN and if yes: what is the best thing to do?

I read something about changing htaccess.dist but that was 7 years ago, does that still apply?

Replies
Portuguese Erwin Maas Replied 8 months ago

it seems your provider didn't installed GD extension for php 8.2

Could be Arsalan, but I was able to select it in Cpanel after the selection of PHP-version 8.2
But he did everything to make it work and it's okay now.

It's a small webhost, not many clients and most of the clients don't know anything about webdevelopment, I think therefore maybe no one noticed about GD. But they are willing to help in any way, installed python for me, moduniqueID, CLI with composer, changed maxlifetimesettings and Linuxgarbagecollector etc. all for no extra costs, so I guess they deserve some confidence in that they really are trying to do their best and they are not the only ones having trouble with GD under 8.2 on Ubuntu, I did some Googling and there were a few more.

But finally I can go on developing, knowing that I have all the latest versions running and OSSN works fine on 8.2. When I encounter issues related to that I will post them here.

Indonesian Arsalan Shah Replied 8 months ago

Didn't work correctly

Well its not true it seems your provider didn't installed GD extension for php 8.2

BTW i have not tested OSSN on php 8.2 glad it worked on php 8.2

Yes I did enable it several weeks ago and OSSN found out that it didn't work correctly and refused to install. That's why I still was on PHP8.0 where GD díd work.
The webhost wasn't aware that GD didn't work under PHP8.2 and it took them some weeks to solve it.

Now they have solved it and I can run OSSN under 8.2 because all the requirements are met, without OSSN nobody would have known that GD didn't run on PHP8.2 so thanks OSSN!

But all solved now, one less irritating issue on my side...

Thanks for the feedback!

Indonesian Arsalan Shah Replied 8 months ago

Ask your provider to enable php GD , it can be enabled usually in cpanel

@all: It's done, went from 8.0 to 8.2 and no issues whatsoever.

This was a very annoying host-problem for me: GD-library didn't work on 8.2, only on 8.0 and I was still on 8.0 because OSSN breaks without GD. But the webhost solved the problem and now all's fine on 8.2

in Victor marcel Replied 9 months ago

Before changing the PHP version, check the official OSSN documentation or community forums to see if there are any recommendations or compatibility notes regarding PHP versions. This information might guide you on which PHP version to choose.

Portuguese Erwin Maas Replied 9 months ago

Okay, thanks!

Indonesian Arsalan Shah Replied 9 months ago

It will effect if you use PHP other than 8.x