Idea for changing username

Mick Dawlings Posted in Theme Development 7 months ago

@zetman

Just an idea but perhaps it's possible?
The 'display username' component allows the showing of the username which cannot be changed.
Would it be possible to modify the 'display username' component to show only the first name which the user can change.

That would solve the question that I've seen a lot being asked which is how can we change the username.
In my case, I would simply change the title to let members know that their first name is in fact their username.

A little messy but being able to change username is very important.

Replies
Breton Rafael [redcrested.net] Replied 7 months ago

@Mick
This component just hides the last name field. For the existing registered users, I put an admin tool to merge the first name with the last.

Since the release of this component, there isn't any issue to fix or new functionality to add. But if I fix or add new things, all customers are informed to download the new version.

If you want to see the component in action, go to OSSN Sandbox. Use demouser as login and 123456789 as password.

@Michael

Just one thought:
How are you going to avoid ending up with 10 Peters and 50 Marys?

Good question :-)

us Mick Dawlings Replied 7 months ago

BTW, if you're asking me if you might have to change real name because it exists already, then I think that would be fine since first name would equate to 'username' which should be unique.

I guess that's why I need to have a developer on this. I've found over the years, there are always ways around a problem but you need to understand the limitations first. I don't know this software well enough yet but working with someone, I'll become much more familiar with it.

German Michael Zülsdorff Replied 7 months ago

In case of usernames: yes. But of course not when it comes to firstnames. Or do you want to be forced to name yourself Micky just because another Mick already exists in the communitiy?

I would have thought the core logic prevents duplicates in the DB. I guess that's not the case?

Just one thought:
How are you going to avoid ending up with 10 Peters and 50 Marys?

Good to know.
I wish I could try it first so maybe I have to reach out to him.

Thank you.

Indonesian Arsalan Shah Replied 7 months ago

The component works fine you don't see updates because its a private component not a public. Rafael is a experienced developer he will surely help you if it have problem.

Thanks but it's not from the core team and it's not been updated for 9 months so I cannot use that.

I can only use components that will for sure be updated regularly.
Third party stuff is hit and miss based on my experience.