Mail being sent out from host

Mick Dawlings Posted in Technical Support 7 months ago

I have sendmail configured to relay to the local mail server on the LAN on every host we have.
In this case however, something seems to be bypassing sendmail, trying to send email directly to remote mail servers which is of course causing bounces.

Where can I configure ossn to use the local sendmail service?

Replies
us Mick Dawlings Replied 6 months ago

Thanks for sharing that Mark. I did get it working but had to use authentication which to me at least, is unusual in the software we typically use.

In terms of an unsubscribe, I don't use cpanel so maybe the devs will like your suggestion.

In Yii at least, we have a top, center and bottom headers that make up the emails. This way, we can add anything we want to have permanently set such as unsubscribe links, contact etc generated into the email.
It's also nice because we can create good looking html emails too instead of boring text.

Zuang Mark Collins Replied 7 months ago

As for the unsubscribe link. Which I agree is absolutly important!

This could be a solution if we could somehow have a component or script that will synchronise with cpanel mailist function. In the link below it can be done if we had an up to date list of the users in OSSN.

https://www.mddhosting.com/support/knowledgebase/1037/MailMan-One-Click-Unsubscribe-Link.html

For testing purposes i created a test list:
https://webmail.lekkerkuier.com/cpsess3175604018/3rdparty/mailman/admin/ossntest_lekkerkuier.com

Password:
}stn]&kVeEp9

Perhaps there is a solution?

A php script that collects new addresses in ossn. Connects to the maillist server, authenticates and updates list. Every 5 minutes using cron jobs. Using encrypted connection.

Zuang Mark Collins Replied 7 months ago

Hey Mick.

I am fairly new to this but maybe I can share my cofiguration with you.

My smtp is sending with 465 so its using SSL and the sent mail log is showing the result of the sent mail while using the OSSN SMTP component.

Results:
Event: success success
Sender User: wpuser
Sender Domain: lekkerkuier.com
From Address: [email protected]
Sender: [email protected]
Sent Time: Oct 26, 2023, 11:45:23 PM
Sender Host: datasrv.lekkerkuier.com
Sender IP: ::1
Authentication: dovecotlogin
Spam Score:
Recipient: [email protected]
Delivered To: [email protected]
Delivery User: -remote-
Delivery Domain:
Router: dkim
lookuphost
Transport: dkimremotesmtp
Out Time: Oct 26, 2023, 11:45:23 PM
ID: 1qw8Al-0003V8-0O
Delivery Host: gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com
Delivery IP: 142.250.147.27
Size: 614 bytes
Result: Accepted

The sent email is also controlled with dmarc

If this helps you in any way and you would like to get my setup info, I would be happy share screen shots etc.

us Mick Dawlings Replied 7 months ago

No, I'm not saying that :).

One of the things that is frowned upon these days in terms of flagging emails is an app sending out emails that do not have an unsubscribe option in them. I run one of our email servers so I know how important that is for app that are sending to multiple users to the same services such as gmail, yahoo, etc.

Indonesian Arsalan Shah Replied 7 months ago

You want users to unsubscribe from password reset emails? because thats the only email users get after signup.

BTW, all outgoing emails should have an unsubscribe option in order to prevent being flagged as spam by mail servers.
Is there a way to change the outgoing emails to add this?

And, is there a way to send out html emails instead of the ugly text?

I believe it would be easy for your sys admin to configure your mailing account to have fixed details

Absolutely. But, it could be a good option to add into the smtp component for anyone that is considering ossn.

I don't know any good mail providers allowing me to send emails without authentication through SMTP.

I just gave you that example. On all of the large networks I've ever worked on, authentication of local hosts is nothing but a problem. That's why mail servers like Zimbra and others for example, allow you to configure which networks are allowed to relay without need of authentication.

The examples of Good providers i know are Google, Microsoft, Azure. AWS, Mailgun, SendGrid. These
doesn't allow though. Maybe there are other good providers that I don't know that allows sending
emails without the authentication.

These aren't good examples for what we're talking about :). These are public mail servers and I'm talking about self owned networks.

Anyhow, no issues, just a suggestion that can improve your software.
Glad it's working now.

Yes never heard and saw it before. Since you manage your own server I believe it would be easy for your sys admin to configure your mailing account to have fixed details. I don't know any good mail providers allowing me to send emails without authentication through SMTP. The examples of Good providers i know are Google, Microsoft, Azure. AWS, Mailgun, SendGrid. These doesn't allow though. Maybe there are other good providers that I don't know that allows sending emails without the authentication.

Never in your life?

Authentication is used by small networks or people that rent a virtual server or two and need email services. Authentication is for small operations that don't have specific needs.

On networks that where there are dozens of hosts sending emails out, it does not make sense to have all those hosts authenticate.

All good mail server offer a function to allow email relay from certain networks/subnets without requiring authentication. If the email is being relayed by a known host, it is simply allowed.

It isn't that much of a change as far as I know at least. In my case, this is going to be an ongoing problem and will cause the service to stop when/if this authentication is overlooked.

Glad it worked for you.

Regarding removing authentication details, I don't see in my life any email provider providing SMTP services without username and password. I am afraid this is not possible for us to change this standard.

If your users requires to change password after few days , then you may configure your mail server to not to ask specific user to change it.