Auto suggest search system like Facebook

Paritosh Pandey Posted in Component Development 9 years ago

I've developed auto suggest system for Ossn. When you'll start typing in Search box (for searching peopel) the auto suggest list will automatically get appeared.

enter image description here

NOTE 1 :- As per Mr. Arsalan we should not alter any core files so you guys be careful while implementing this script.

NOTE 2 :- Sorry Mr. Arsalan as I've not created component for this script bcoz I don't know much about component development. But I think Ossn Users need this script, so I'm providing this script which needs altering a core file. So you guys don't worry about it this script not gonna harm your website at all, you guys just've to replace a bit of codes to mine.

NOTE 3 :- Suppose if you guys gonna upgrade your website in future then you've to implement this script again.

HOW TO IMPLEMENT AUTO SUGGEST SEARCH SYSTEM

1. First of all you've to Download this zip file, extract it and you'd find a folder named "ajax-search" , you just've to upload this folder to root dir.

2. navigate through this folder "themes >> default >> plugins >> default >> theme >> page" , edit the page.php file and press "Ctrl + F" then search for bellow code.(check out image bellow for better assistance)

click here to see code
3. Now you just've to replace the whole codes displaying under red rectangle with bellow one(see image bellow)
click here to see codes

enter image description here

HERE IS THE DEMO
username- ossndemo
password- ossndemo

Replies
Breton Felipe Trote Replied 8 years ago

please link

ng Abayomi Oladipupo Replied 9 years ago

Hello Paritosh, I have seen it, the auto suggest is now working on homepage only and that was after i deleted the html sidebar but it is not working on the rest page,
can you please accept my friend request here?

Thanks

in Paritosh Pandey Replied 9 years ago

Abayomi as I can see it is working fine except in the home page,
rest I'll fix it tomorrow.

Sorry Paritosh, it is not working, I tell you, please, have a look

Yes I did,
but now i am finding it difficult to locate my way back
i worked on theme/default/theme/page/page.php and register.php under components/ and action.php under components/
please help me resolve it

German Michael Zülsdorff Replied 9 years ago

Dear Paritosh,

this isn't to cast a damning light on your work and all the time you spent to add a useful feature to OSSN - but please accept the basic rules. As you pointed out yourself (Note 1) altering core files is a no-go. The next official OSSN update which may include a changed page.php will definitely overwrite your work. And it's only a question of time when this community will be flooded with uncountable questions why Autosuggest doesn't work anymore, how to implement it again and so on...
So, please be fair and leave this forum for what it's intentionally meant for: Making new suggestions and asking questions regarding UNTOUCHED official OSSN releases. As questions regarding modules already go to the module's pages - please put core hacks like that onto Github and answer all related questions there - but not here.
This way you could even keep several branches which are in line with the OSSN a user is currently running.

hey Abayomi, problem fixed, implemented the script correctly

hey Abayomi, did you edited or added any extra codes in core files before?

Please, help me o, at Paritosh, I have send u d login details, check your email

ph Huck Jones Replied 9 years ago

Vouching on this, though it'll be even more golden if you managed to make this into a component. ;)