How to install the social network to your web server

Daniel Cilley Posted in Technical Support 7 years ago

I uploaded the zip file to my web server. I extracted the files into one folder, which is NOT under www or public_html. Now what?

*Update: I realized I had made an error. Now, I have moved the first folder under public_html...and now I am creating a new, special folder NOT under www or public_html.

This topic has been closed!
Replies
German Michael Zülsdorff Replied 7 years ago

You cannot simply choose another database interface this way.
Ask your provider to enable the the php::mysqli extension instead - this shouldn't be a big deal.

And last not least: Please open your own new topics (top left: Add discussion) in case of new problems.

Breton Bruno Ferreira Replied 7 years ago

Hi
Hi
I install on my server but it not allow mysqli.. just PDO.. someone know how to change config to connect?
...OssnDatabase (dot) php...

public function Connect() {
            $settings = ossn_database_settings();
            $connect  = new mysqli($settings->host, $settings->user, $settings->password, $settings->database, $settings->port);
            if(!$connect->connect_errno) {
                    return $connect;
            } else {
                    return false;
            }

-------- error -----------
Warning: mysqli::mysqli(): (HY000/2002): No such file or directory in /var/www/html/paranalocal.com.br/web/classes/OssnDatabase.php on line 20

Fatal error: Call to a member function set_charset() on boolean in /var/www/html/paranalocal.com.br/web/classes/OssnDatabase.php on line 78

............PDO..............
simple connection

$pdo = new PDO("mysql:host=HOST;dbname=DatabaseName", "USER", "PASS");
if(!$pdo){
die('Erro ao criar a conexão');

thanks all.. I dont found the discussion and post here.. sorry if I did wrong

us Daniel Cilley Replied 7 years ago

@Stefan keyes Yes, I fixed it. Thanks for helping. Now, I am wondering how to change the URL of my site. My site is mysite.com/OSSN/ossn right now. I want it to be mysite.com/social. Do I just change the name of the folder? Or, do I have to tell the program what the new name of the folder is also, such as in the installation wizard?

Thanks again, everyone.

gb Stefan keyes Replied 7 years ago

@Daniel Cilley Did you manage to get this fixed?

German Michael Zülsdorff Replied 7 years ago

Daniel,
please stop spreading your issues into threads of other members - even more if their problem has been solved already.
You've opened your own thread, and that's sufficient.
Your Ossn installer is running correctly. Up to the point where it tries to connect to the database you created in advance. And this connection fails. With 4 fields (database name, database user, password of database user, and database host) there are 4 chances to enter something wrong. And obviously you ARE entering something wrong. But nobody here will be able to verify whether you're mispelling the password or what else could be the reason. Only you and your provider can track down what's going wrong at this point.

The only thing that could be causing it to not work is that when I extracted the files from the zip file, I created a folder called OSSN first, then extracted the files into it, instead of just extracting the files in public_html.

Hi Stefan,

After clicking the install button, It responded with: "Access denied for user 'dancille_Dan '@'localhost' (using password: YES)"

It doesn't make sense, because dancille_Dan is the name of the MySQL user I created, and I confirmed with my hosting provider (Bluehost) that "localhost" is supposed to be what I use.

And I entered the right password.

And I entered the right database name.

For the OssnSite Url I am putting http://mysitename.com/OSSN/ossn/ (There is a folder ossn in a folder called OSSN)

For the Data Directory, I am putting /home6/dancille/OSSNspecial/ossn_data/ (OSSNspecial is the special folder that I created outside of the document root, which is what the instructions say to do at https://www.opensource-socialnetwork.org/wiki/view/706/how-to-install-open-source-social-network)

I also changed the permissions of the OSSNspecial folder to 777, which I am not sure is the right thing to do.

Why would it deny access to the MySQL account? It doesn't make sense.

as for database host.. it depends on your provider. if the databse is hosting on same machine then the "databse host" is probably "localhost" and "database username" is usually "root" unless you created a new database username. and last "database name" is the name of the SQL database you have created. if you havent created one. you need to do that first.

OSSN URL. is the domain name you purchased like "mysite.com" the data directory you have to create outside of the ossn directory. so anywhere else on the host PC just as long as its not the main site's directory.

Who are you using for a host? if you are hosting your self i may be able to help further. I've never dealt with a web hosting provider so not sure about anything else. you may have to contact them for assistance

What do you put for "OssnSite Url"?

What do you put for "Data Directory"? Is the data directory the special folder that I created outside of the document root?