Why likes in OSSN do not behave like in Facebook?

Ondrej Janicko Posted in General Discussion 7 years ago

Why likes in OSSN do not behave like in Facebook?

I mean why when I like some post from whom I am not friend does not show on NewsFeed of all my friends?

Thanks.

Replies
German Michael Zülsdorff Replied 7 years ago

I'm sorry, but there's no short term ETA for adding the feature you requested.

As you said you're knowingly trying to limit the number of shown postings by using the "friends-only" switch because of 10k users. Applying just a simple change to add all postings which have been liked would very soon lead to right the same result you're intentionally wanting to avoid with a community of that size.
That said, it would need a lot of work to implement a well-thought-out design under the hood which will be tuneable and versatile enough to satisfy different requirements easily.

Of course it's up to you to implement the feature yourself by customizing the getFriendsPosts function in the OssnWall class.

pk Malik Umer Farooq Replied 7 years ago

Hellow sir set the user means when someone that is my friend likes or comment on some other friends this is not show In newsfeed

Slovak Ondrej Janicko Replied 7 years ago

This is problem what I like to solve.

On Facebook it works. I can see on newsfeed posts from people who I am not friend, the posts which liked my friends but I do not see all posts of 500 milion users of Facebook.

> How to do OSSN to behave your tested scenario and not have wall
> setting set to "all site posts"?

I can't follow your logic: If user A and user C are not friends - as stated in your example - AND the wall is set to 'friends only', A and C won't see each others postings from the very beginning. Liked or not not liked.

OK. I found where was problem.

Problem was as you mention wall's setting set to "friends only".

When I have wall setting friends only the tested scenario does not work.

How to do OSSN to behave your tested scenario and not have wall setting set to "all site posts"?

It not gives sense to show all site posts on news feed for each user if we have 10K users.

OK. It works also for me. I do not know where was the problem.

Now it is OK.

Thank you that you prove your scenario.

1. A (Botox) is a friend of B (No Mercy)
  2. C (Honey) is a friend of B (No Mercy)
  3. A (Botox) is no friend of C (Honey)

A (Botox) makes a public posting on newfeed
Result: C (Honey) can see the posting of A (Botox)

B (No Mercy) likes the posting of A (Botox)
Result: C (Honey) still can see the posting of A (Botox) and C can see who liked it (B)

No problem.
Actually, liking/unliking has no impact on the visibility of a post.
My site is running the currently available Ossn 4.4 plus some small changes which have nothing to do with your issue.

Perhaps you should check your wall's setting: Is it set to "friends only" ?

Thank you very much that you prove your scenario. I tried similar scenario and failed:

1. user A and user B are friends
  2. user C and user B are friends
  3. users A and C are not friends
  4. when user B made like on user A post, user C does not see post of user A on newsfeed

But maybe I was wrong. But this was result when I tested on free version of OSSN.

With OSSN should behave like Facebook I mean that should exist some standards how social network behave. This gives me a sense.

Thank you.

I can' follow what you mean.
Being on https://newblue.ongolito.net I did the following:

1. Demo Duck made a public posting on the newsfeed
  2. No Mercy (no friend of Demo Duck) liked the posting made in step 1
  3. Honey Honey (a friend of No Mercy, but no friend of Demo Duck) can see that 1 Person (= No Mercy) has liked Duck's posting

So, where's the problem?

Besides all that: Asking "Why likes in OSSN do not behave like in Facebook?" sounds to me as meaningful as "Why doesn't taste Jack Daniels like Johnny Walker?" Agreed: they're both Whiskeys. But isn't it good that we (still) have a choice? ;)