I have a few questions about refresh and page load

James Murphy Posted in Component Development 6 years ago

This is not a criticism, just an inquiry. I have four themes, why is GoBlue the slowest in loading and refreshing and The Fakebook the fastest, no lag.

My next question is why does Link Preview mess up. When enabled photo and text never get posted together. One of those will be missing. I have to hit edit to add the missing one. Why is that not fixed. Why don't you fix it.

Third question: why do you allow components to be downloadable which affect the functionality of other components.

Final question: Do you deliberately prevent the availability of free components in order to safeguard your premium version.
Thanks.

Replies
us Rishi B Replied 6 years ago

I think some of James's confusion here comes from the fact that many users were totally unaware that Softlab24, who maintains the premium version and premium components, is an external 3rd party entity. While I don't agree with everything James brought up, I did have some of the same questions, which was just due to not realizing that the commercial company Softlab24 is not actually affiliated with the open source development community of OSSN. Thank you for clarifying that.

German Michael Zülsdorff Replied 6 years ago

Maybe it's time to spend some thoughts on your own role 'preventing' new components, James.

Being involved uncountable hours in a project for free, and then receiving comments like "Your reply was lazy ... maybe you should find someone to replace you ..." isn't really motivating.

Speaking for myself, I'd normally ignore talk like that, but there's a good chance to scare a lot of other more sensitive minds who were primarily willing to contribute.

Indonesian Arsalan Shah Replied 6 years ago

> This is not a criticism, just an inquiry. I have four themes, why is GoBlue the slowest in loading and refreshing and The Fakebook the fastest, no lag.

Facebook theme and other themes are based on goblue, i believe you are talking about the blue loading icon which goblue have and facebook theme didn't have. In goblue it shows a loading icon when images and all things on page are fully loaded. You remove in following https://github.com/opensource-socialnetwork/opensource-socialnetwork/blob/v5.x/themes/goblue/plugins/default/theme/page/page.php#L39-L43

> Third question: why do you allow components to be downloadable which affect the functionality of other components.

We only assure you about the core components, if you download and use 3rd party components and the components which are not included in package you should contact the developer to assure if it works and what not works. Because we can not test every component of other developers within the core and default ossn package.

>My next question is why does Link Preview mess up. When enabled photo and text never get posted together. One of those will be missing. I have to hit edit to add the missing one. Why is that not fixed. Why don't you fix it.

Please contact the softlab24 regarding it. I believe this has been solved by them long ago.

> Final question: Do you deliberately prevent the availability of free components in order to safeguard your premium version.

Well what you said is totally wrong. premium version is from different company while we only have only one version.

Ask your self a question who creates the components here? Its the community volunteers who work in there free time and create components for you.

If someone perception is that after the release of any of OSSN latest version we stops working and do nothing then they are wrong they should see https://github.com/opensource-socialnetwork/opensource-socialnetwork/pulse we works on next version,

If anyone wanted to make community better and wanted more components i suggest please take a look https://www.opensource-socialnetwork.org/wiki/view/737/how-to-write-a-simple-component-for-ossn and start creating components and make it available here on community. It would be nice if new components are available in next few days so we can use them :)