Mobile views of components (below 1024px)

steven downer Posted in General Discussion 5 years ago

In a world where every man jack and his dog has a mobile device, either in tablet form or in a mobile phone form, and do not necessarily have a desktop machine, a number of components for OSSN that work fine for 1024 or greater resolution (going into desktop modes) do not appear in the lower resolutions and are in fact lost....

Case in point: OSSN ADS and HTML SIDEBAR

both components work well at the higher resolutions but are no long available to users on mobile devices.....even on an ipad (1024 x 768) they will display and work on 1024 but as soon as users turn the ipad to 768 mode (some users prefer this to read more on screen) then those components disappear for obvious size issues.

Suggestion and/or query:-

Would it not be possible to move those component displays to the end of the WALL NEWS FEED so that they are still available to mobile users??? It already works to some degree but not fully.

This is demonstrated when viewing both the PROFILE PAGE and GROUP PAGE when (only the OSSN ADS component) is displayed on mobile views but only up to 768px (below that it disappears) on the PROFILE PAGE, but then OSSN ADS stays active on display at the bottom down to 360px on a GROUPS Page.

Can it therefore not be possible to place these components, for all mobile views ( I would say down to minimum of 360px) at the bottom of feeds (when they detect a mobile screen size) so that they can still be viewed by all users??

As it is, mobile users are losing out on any "ADS" or "HTML SIDEBAR" coding

Replies
Tatar Steven downer Replied 5 years ago

In regard to both the HTML Sidebar and the OSSN Ads components displaying on mobile devices, I believe this has now been resolved by ~Z~ Man with the creation of the following extra component/theme:

https://www.opensource-socialnetwork.org/component/view/3689/goblue-more-hooks

https://www.opensource-socialnetwork.org/component/view/3690/extracontent

Much praise, thanks and gratitude is given to him on behalf of mobile users on our community site for resolving this issue in such a short space of time.

~Z~ Man

Which Ossn? I would say both the Free version and the premium version.... But I would also point out that those are sentiments from actual "users" ( as members of using the "OSSN" community site created by your scripts)

I think you have missed the point that was being expressed by members of a OSSN community site in comparison to "A N Other" or, as I have implied to hide the names of actual and alternative social community scripts out there, "ABC.COM"...if you wish for me to name competitors of OSSN (free or Premium) then plase let me know and I can, but I feel it would it either be blocked out as that would be free advertisement for them and members of this community can then check it out themselves....but I would like to think you get my point....that users (not admins per se) of OSSN (Free or Premium) have voiced that "negative sentiment" in their everyday use, and given the hefty price tag for the premium version, compared to "ABC.COM" that may have those missing features, then it is understandable.

If an enhancement benefits all users of the OSSN scripts (and not a few) then why should inexperienced users of coding then be placed in a situation where they must do it then possibly breaking the scripts. Softlabs/develops...such as yourself...are in a far better position to attract more users ( and thus more revenue in the premium version) if "enhancements" such as the one I speak of are made as default.... I fail to see that I can be the only one of all the OSSN users that have these issues, particularly in mobile views......If the product (free or pemium) cannot do something in mobile view that alternative scripts can and do, then my users are correct, OSSN is not mobile friendly...
Surely it makes better business sense to be competitive and place features that either equal or better the alternatives.
If 95% of my users of the community site are mobile users and the site lacks features in mobile views then they will leave....that is not sound business sense.

For the moment, I and my team of 3, will continue to fix the lacking features by ourselves by whatever means it takes, without breaking OSSN, seeing that it is up to us, in using your scripts, to get what we want in the end, even though alternative scripts/platforms already have them built in and even though we simply cannot believe we are the only ones in the big wide world of OSSN that have these features lacking for use, we will continue as we are.

German Michael Zülsdorff Replied 5 years ago

Steven, you said "Well if ABC.COM has it, why not OSSN?" which is a negative sentiment in any language."

Which Ossn? I would ask then. Because there is no 'static' Ossn that comes along dressed in blue with some hardcoded features, and that was that. This forum for instance is driven by Ossn but it looks completely different. That said, it's up to you what you'll get in the end. And as you seem have already some code to enhance Ossn here and there, you're more than welcome to contribute it. Simply place your code onto Github, so we can have a look and discuss the right way to make a valid component out of it. And of course ... study already existing components to get an idea ...

I just created two showcases which way the content of the HtmlSidebar component may be placed on top of the newsfeed....

From a "users" point of view, if one component works quite well in regard to placing its contents a the bottom of the feed so that all users, not just desktop users, can see it then that is worth it...for they are not losing out on what other users see...

From a "technical" point of view, and again I will admit my basic knowledge of php, then if it works quite well with one component then there can be a way to implement that feature in all component, not just ad hoc piece meal, for then all users will benefit from the experience, and surely that can only be a good thing for both "admins" on the community site as well as OSSN itself.....it has an effect that the old saying keeps on coming up and is being said by the actual users..."Well if ABC.COM has it, why not OSSN?" which is a negative sentiment in any language.

We must look after our users to give them a better experience, (without users we do not have a site in simple terms) for one person using a desktop can have that experience but mobile users cannot?? That is not great PR from an admin point of view and can be seen that we, the admins, cannot do as "the others do", thus we may have users leave for those sites that can offer what they want. I have even had a user say that "OSSN is not mobile friendly"....to make the point.

I agree, an expandable extra section on top of a page, an extra button, even putting things in the drop down links section, whatever it takes, should be looked at to give all users the same user experience.... even if it is placed at the bottom, the point will be that ALL USERS will still have the ability to see it...it would be there....as it is, it is lost on mobile views. Therefore it must be placed "somewhere", as long as they see it, all users.

If an important message is shown to users in using the HTML side bar or even a sponsored Ad is shown in the "normal" view that brings in revenue for a site, but then cannot be shown to mobile users......that is not "user friendly" nor does it give the site the full ability to draw in an audience....

I may be sounding "negative", but I am not. I am trying to look after our users and I will try anything, without actually breaking OSSN, to achieve that end.....otherwise what is the point?

German Michael Zülsdorff Replied 5 years ago

As the OSSN ADS component does respond down to 360 with no issues and places itself at the bottom, it would appear that you yourselves have resolved the issue with that component.

Well, I'd rather say 'resolved'. We just programmed it that way because we had no better idea that time. It's not that we wouldn't know how to put something here or there - the question is: Does it make sense? And as Arsalan already pointed out things became even more complicated with the introduction of Autopagination. That is, feeds will grow without limit now - and do you really want to scroll down 10 miles just in order to find some exta content in the end?

As for the html-sidebar part I would vote for a small expandable extra section on top of a page - like Arsalan implemented it with the Groups-Sidebar-Small-Devices component.

Hi Arsalan, I appreciate that mobile views can be complicated....I really do as I can say that we have a 95% userbase that are mobile users and these issues only come up as they, the users tell us.

What is confusing us is that, as I said, the OSSN ADS component is responsive, at the bottom of feeds down to 360, therefore from a users point of view it is being asked if that OSSN component can do it then there should not be any technical reason why other components cannot.

What we are attempting to do is inject some javascript in the form of a detect if the device is a mobile then redirect it to a page that contains both the news feed and the HTML sidebar codes/OSSN ADS or if (screen.width <= xxx) then again redirect... We know this works for other non-OSSN pages (with full responsive widths) so we are attempting to adapt it here

our issues lay in the working of OSSN and putting it together as a component so that it does not break OSSN....we are not confident in redesigning your scripts nor are we doing so, it is only experimental to avoid breaking it. We are working on how to create components to get some ideas how to manage it.

As the OSSN ADS component does respond down to 360 with no issues and places itself at the bottom, it would appear that you yourselves have resolved the issue with that component. We are attempting to use that as a baseline working model only on a test machine.

Other than that, we are also working on a sidebar link, again if the detect is mobile or if (screen.width <= xxx) then the link can become active for users to access both the ADS and the HTML SIDEBAR codes on a separate page...it is all experimental but we are working in it.

Both components are used to show relevant information to all users, not just those that do not use mobile devices, so it is important for all our users to see all pages/components on all devices.

Obviously, if there were a component to do this or if components could be modified to cater for this then more the better

Indonesian Arsalan Shah Replied 5 years ago

@Steven, Mobile views are bit complicated, If you post ads/sidebar in end of newsfeedpage it won't work because there is auto pagination system.

Maybe you have some mockups/ layout idea that can describe how to fit all these in mobile device ? because i tried to think and its outside of my experience to figure out about fitting these stuff on mobile devices.

Maybe someone else here also have idea?