Android Webview App?

Steven Legg Posted in Performance and Scalability 3 years ago

Hey Y'all,

Hope you have had a great start to the new year! For those of you who have ventured into app territory (specifically Android)...have you had any trouble doing a webview app? I can get every other website to run through the webview code, but when I try to run my OSSN by Softlab site through the emulator I get a blank white page. Yes, I know I could pay softlab for an app, but I enjoy learning and also the cost of adding that through Softlab is just not in the cards at the moment.

I also understand that the users don't need a native app...that doesn't change the fact that they want the app and have been quite vocal about it.

I have tried using the sites like GoNative and AppsGeyser and run into a similar issue with their free emulator. Is their something in the OSSN files that is blocking the site from loading through an app I build myself?

Replies
us Philip Lozier Replied 3 years ago

@Steven Legg ... you're in the same boat as me. before my OSSN project it had been years since I played with this type of stuff. "My time" was all html and css. I, too, am looking to get into some php courses once I have whatever kinks I can work out, worked out. I'm currently "live" and believe me... the quirks in the stock features are definitely being pointed out to me by users. With the investment I have in the whole infrastructure of this I have to make any possible fixes I can ASAP. I should have a higher user retention level, but those antiquated quirks are what they are, and users are going to go where they don't exist. The majority of any feedback I get is directly associated with those very issues I bring up.

German Michael Zülsdorff Replied 3 years ago

Steven,
especially with css changes it makes sense to use a component because your css won't hardly cause any conflicts with the core LOGIC part.
Give it a try, use the Helloworld component and put all of your changed CSS into plugins/default/css/helloworld.php.
In some cases it might be necessary to add !important, but that's all and you're done. Thus, as long as a released core component or theme doesn't introduce new html elements your changes will last forever and you don't have to re-implement them again and again.

us Steven Legg Replied 3 years ago

Z Man,

I don’t need components for the changes I am making though. These are might be like css level changes more than anything. Plus if that core file was updated I want to get the update and then add my change back in....but like Philip said there is not a comprehensive change log. So sometimes knowing exactly where I need to go is a bit of a mess.

It is not a big issue since I use a homelab to test my updates and setup before I roll the update to my main server. Just a bit time consuming. I don’t know anything about php or MySQL, all my web experience was html and css back when that was what was used to do 90% of webpages. I like php but it certainly is a learning curve for me to adjust to. I’m hoping that I can pick up a few php courses online and maybe get into the components side a bit more. Especially as I want to develop my own webrtc call feature that doesn’t require a third party api.

The more I learn about apis the more I really dislike them, but I must be missing something because everyone else seems to love them haha.

German Michael Zülsdorff Replied 3 years ago

Steven,
you wrote " It is already a bit of a pain when an update comes out. I am going too create a folder system on my computer with the stuff I have tweaked for future updates to make it a bit easier."

Right because of that it's recommended to NOT change any core stuff but create a component and put your changes in there. Of course this doesn't free you from comparing changes of the core code in question with the code inside your component with every new update, but it would keep things strictly separate and you can be sure your changes won't be overwritten.

LOL! Just re-read your message. YEA! It's a pain when an update comes out. I have been tweaking a little bit more than here, and there. LOL! I wouldn't be able to use it, if I didn't. The last update I literally had to go component by component to make sure I applied changes. Most of it was probably not required, BUT... just to stay in line with the unorthodox way things are done around here... they don't include a comprehensive "changelog" accompanying new releases. If there were, then I would only need to address the documented changes where it my apply to where I have made changes of my own. Of course, someone will say "don't change anything in the core"... well... if its a component, it ISN'T "core"... not with any software I've dealt with in the past 36 years, anyway. In absence of a changelog, a separate "update" release is something else that has been the "norm" for decades. That way, you only see components in the update package that have been changed and you know straight away which ones you may have to address if you've made changes. That would be too user friendly, though... maybe? LOL!

@Steven Legg ... I like softlabs, for the most part, as well. A lot of their stuff seems to be more "proof of concept" rather than actual full functionality in today's market, though. They're half way there on most components, as so is OSSN in general, and need to put the rest... that, IMO, is basic stuff users expect to see on ANY social network site... not as an extra, just the basic stuff. Some people get awful touchy when you bring that up, too... we used to get touchy when people said BBS's were dying, too... look at that sittuation now. I have stuck with OSSN because it is easy, once you learn the structure, to add a lot of custom content with their own sidebar menu layout and such. I am also hoping they will step up to the times and fix some of their basic functions... I think they will... I hope. The page builder still needs finishing, because at over 200 unique pages, and still going, that I have created it has become a full time job trying to sort through them for my needs. They're just all laid out in the editor in the order created, with no intelligent way to sort and index them...there are some other things, as well. I'm hoping not, but it looks like it may become an issue for me before too long. I hate to have to switch from something I have put so many hundreds of hours into because the functionality on the admin end just can't hack it in its current state. Anyway...

As to Rocket Web. Their 'demo" doesn't do it justice... there is more to it than what is in the demo. I have ZERO issues. All functions work. Really didn't need to change much from their template in Android Studio. Just have to make sure you have the permissions set right in their code, and it works flawlessly. I would send you the code I have, but they have it protected in a way that if another app is created and published from that specific unlocked template it will make both published apps crippled. I have the one I just created with it in for review... should be published by end week and you can try it yourself just to see. The one currently published has a couple of minor issues... the one built from Rocket Web solved these for me.

Philip,

Sure I get that. With the Rocketlab version I was having the same issue when I tried to run their test code through my emulator. When I got my hands on a test device and tested my own code I just stuck with it rather than pay for something I may not need. Otherwise I probably would of bought the Rocketlab code.

I have ran into an issue with my code though. I cannot play any video, I get an "error loading this resource". In the rocketlab version you are using, is this an issue or is it something in my code that is probably missing?

As you said, we are moving to an app based world. I would not be messing with this at all if my users would just be happy with the Progressive Web version of the site. I think they feel the site is safer if it comes from a valid place such as an app store. I recall seeing you post about the softlab version before and it not exporting your custom stuff. That would be a huge pain...and another reason for me to not go that direction either as I have been tweaking the code here and there. It is already a bit of a pain when an update comes out. I am going too create a folder system on my computer with the stuff I have tweaked for future updates to make it a bit easier.

I like softlabs' stuff for the most part. I have found my experience with them has been their stuff just works and they are patient with me when I have questions.

Cool. I would have stayed with the softlab version, but it shows ZERO of any of the custom content I added, or ANY modifications, whatsoever. Not even my theme changes, which are EXTENSIVE. Another bad taste I got was the method of getting the app.. and actually even HAVING to enter the url for the site your trying to reach... like a "shared app" feeling. To be competitive, today, it is all about the user experience, and they are PICKY, to say the least. 85% of web traffic in the USA now is through APPS. if they can't install an app, and just "GO", they WILL NOT "go". They WILL NOT use a mobile browser, unless an app sends them to one in an external link... and iOS users have nothing but complaints about the native safari browser, and avoid it like coronavirus. It's just the way it is now. If a site is not apped, it probably won't exist in 3-5 years. Anything that doesn't step up with the times and understand it's a USERS world, ought to look for another monetary endevour, or hobby... because this won't be theirs anymore.

As for push notifications... the app I told you about has firebase and onesignal. I'm no developer and I need somebody to give me a tutorial on how to impliment push notifications from OSSN directly to the app through their API. Browsing the threads here, nobody wants to be helpful in that area... AT ALL.

Ok, so after getting my hands on an android device to actually test, the app was working correctly all along. This is a problem with many emulators apparently.

If anyone would like the code feel free to send me a request and I will be glad to send it on.

Note: I do not guarantee Google will accept the app you submit. I am also not an app developer, I did the research for what I needed. If you need help I probably can’t help you, but feel free to ask. This app also does not support push notifications.

If you want a complete app experience you should buy the soft lab version. This really is for people who can’t afford and need their own solution.

Thanks guys, I will look into both! If I discover the root problem I will post back.