Purchased Notification Via Email and installed SMTP but no smtp configurations and no emails

Rich Evans Posted in Technical Support 2 years ago

My Environment:

• Host: DigitalOcean
  • Centos7
  • Apache 2.4.6
  • Haproxy 1.5.18
  • Firewalld 0.6.3
  • PHP 7.4.26
  • MariaDB 10.6.5
  • OSSN 6.1
  • NOTIFICATIONS VIA EMAIL (Premium from Open Teknik)
  • smtp (6.1)

Facts

1. I can send test emails from the server command line all day with:

$echo emailbodytext | mail -s "test email" [email protected]

2. PHP is configured to use postfix

3. Registration emails and password reset emails work fine via postfix/mail

4. I purchased NOTIFICATIONS VIA EMAIL from Open Teknik and installed it without issue

5. User's do have notification by email options in their user settings

6. As Admin OSSNNOTIFICATIONS has only 1 setting which is, "Close notification windows by clicking anywhere" which is set to enable

7. I downloaded the SMTP component and installed it with no issues

8. SMTP is now listed in the configuration menu but when I click it it has no settings

9. I was trying to configure my site to use my postfix mail server as an smtp mail relay

My Question(s)

1. Should the SMTP component have configuration settings?

2. What do I have to do to get ossn to use my server's mail function for user notifications?

Thank you!
/Rich

Replies
German Michael Zülsdorff Replied 2 years ago

Well, I don't have that component installed, hence my knowledge is limited to what I see on
https://www.openteknik.com/product/view/78/notifications-via-email

Actually, none of your examples (neither PM nor taggging) appear on that list.
So, to me it seems they are simply not supported...

us Rich Evans Replied 2 years ago

Michael is correct, my issue is about email notifications not working

Yes, Oliver, I need to be more specific. How's this:

1. If I send a PM to someone, they do not receive an email notification letting them know; nor is there anything in the server logs (mail, php, apache, etc.. ) indicating that email was sent or that an error occurred in the attempt.

2. If I tag someone in a post, they do not receive an email notification letting them know; nor is there anything in the server logs (mail, php, apache, etc.. ) indicating that email was sent or that an error occurred in the attempt.

The only email sending that is working is the new user validation email and password rest emails.. they work great.. other than that, the site does not seem to generate emails under any other circumstances even though everything seems to be configured for it (required components, site config, and user prefs)

Does that make sense?

German Oliver Mankewitz Replied 2 years ago

Hi, Michael!

After what Rich wrote, it seems to be the notification of users if an user react on an users post.

I simply can't get OSSN to send emails when people post things and react to things and I'm trying everything I can.

Maybe Rich can be a little more specific?

German Michael Zülsdorff Replied 2 years ago

No, Oliver.
The issue discussed in 5660 and 5758 was getting no ONSCREEN notifications at all in some cases.
Rich's issue is getting no notifications by EMAIL (as he should after installing that Openteknik component)

Since SMTP seems to cause additional problems I'd recommend to revert back to the former mail configuration and assure that validation emails and invitation emails still work properly.
If yes, contact Openteknik since those notification emails should be queued through the same channel.

Thanks for pointing me.
I installed it and right after activation, it opens the settings page.
It seems to be all there.

Try do delete and re-install the component.

[Re: Do you need the smtp component?] -- I'm not sure. I simply can't get OSSN to send emails when people post things and react to things and I'm trying everything I can.

I was thinking that maybe OSSN notifications only work with SMTP and maybe I needed to install SMTP and point it to my server as the SMTP mail relay

¯\(ツ)

All I do know is that I DO NOT want to use a 3rd party smtp mail service

Hi Oliver, thanks for the quick reply. The OSSN SMTP component is here:

https://github.com/opensource-socialnetwork/SMTP

This is the link that has been referenced multiple times here in these discussion topics. I too was surprised that it is not listed in the main list of components.

Hi, Rich!
Can you point me to the SMTP-component? I couldnt find it here or at openteknik.com.
Besides: Do you need the SMTP-component? If you can send mail the way you did, mailing with OSSN should work right out of the box, I guess.

Premium Version

Due to the many requests in the past for additonal features and components we have decided to develope a premium version. Features like Hashtags, Videos, Polls, Events, Stories, Link Preview, etc included in it.

$199 (Life Time)
Learn More

Other Questions