[BUG] User doesn't get notification of a comment in a own post if no reactions involved

Hugo Cuellar Posted in Technical Support 3 weeks ago

Steps:

User A: Create a public wall post in timeline.
User B: Replied the post of User A with a comment.
User A: Gets a notification for the comment, then the User A does a comment in the same post.
User B: Doesnt get notification of the comment of User A.

Tested with the .ova in vmware and in my production environment (feedback of my users)

Important note: No reactions involved.

Replies
cl Hugo Cuellar Replied 20 hours ago

Hi, new test from fresh install using dev branch.

• User A and User B are friends.
  1. User A make a post in User B timeline.
  2. User B didnt get any notification.
  3. User B make a reply in the post.
  4. User A didnt get any notification.
  • User C joins to the conversation and make a reply in the post.

• User C is NOT friend of both user A and B.

1. User A didnt get any notification. No notification from user C reply. Empty notifications.
  2. User B get a notification reply from user C : "User C commented on the post."
  3. User A make a reply in the post.
  4. User B get a notification reply from user A : "User A commented on the post."
  5. User C didn get a notification reply from user A. Empty notifications.
  6. User B make a new reply in the post.
  7. User A didn get any notification. No notification from user B reply. Empty notifications.
  8. User C didn get any notification. No notification from user B reply. Empty notifications.

enter image description here

Also i want to mention another thing i found is related to notifications. When a user make a post in Groups component, nobody from the group get a notification, so nobody knows if a new post are in the group, users from my site didnt use the groups because nobody knows if anyone is making a post in the groups... so the groups gets zero activity...

Indonesian Arsalan Shah Replied 5 days ago

Thanks for the response just made changes

https://github.com/opensource-socialnetwork/opensource-socialnetwork/commit/07ac792cb8a5342f9bfa88f7e457e47fdd3d415a

Replace components/OssnComments/ossn_com.php with https://raw.githubusercontent.com/opensource-socialnetwork/opensource-socialnetwork/v6.x/components/OssnComments/ossn_com.php and try again.

Tested your last usecase

1. User A posted on User B (no notification)
  2. User A commented on post , Use B gets notification or
  3. User B commented on post , User A gets notification.

Can you try again please and if it works also try with 3rd user commenting to see if both A and B get comments. If this also work.

Please test on groups!

cl Hugo Cuellar Replied 6 days ago

Hi, i installed ossn dev version successfully in my virtual machine running ubuntu with lamp and mod_rewrite.

I replicated the steps and the notifications still bugged.

Notifications of devuser1:

notifications of devuser 2:

console verification running ossn dev latest:

Thanks, i was unable to find the dev version in the github, i need to familiarize with that.

I upgraded with the /upgrade/upgrade.php and the system shows no upgrade, but i replaced the contents in the parent directory with the zip i think is running with the latest files, because i see some components updated.

Running the test again, same behavior, no changes. I will try to install from zero the dev version in a virtual machine to confirm later.

Hi, i made another lab test again with the fresh installation of ossn, and i verified im running latest ossn-v6.1-1633420776, here are the results:

Indonesian Arsalan Shah Replied 6 days ago

Any response on this?

Indonesian Arsalan Shah Replied 1 week ago

Try to download development version https://github.com/opensource-socialnetwork/opensource-socialnetwork install it somewhere and test it. Once tested please let us know your findings as we made some changes. We need the feedback in order to finalize the bug fix.

cl Hugo Cuellar Replied 2 weeks ago

Thanks for the reply Arsalan.

I think this issue is very important, because users doesnt know if another user are trying to interact. I hope others devs can help. I'm not a developer but i can understand code and try to debug and test.

I was thinking in a quick solution, example: a default "like" when a user post in another user timeline, so the notification can iniatialize. But is not a good solution anyway, only if there no another options to resolve the problem.

Indonesian Arsalan Shah Replied 2 weeks ago

https://github.com/opensource-socialnetwork/opensource-socialnetwork/issues/2053

There is no quick solution right now I am trying to simulate various solutions but non appears good to me.