Better/broader notifications - similar to email notifications component

Stephen Holton Posted in Component Development 5 years ago

I'm assuming there must be a "better" notifications component/module that would announce all updates (such as a new posting to a group).

I'm essentially looking for the notifications that get picked up on the "Notifications via Email" component, but with the ability to show the notifications not just in email but also on the top menu.

The module in question MAY already do that - however its not documented and my attempts to buy and download the component are failing (supposedly I'm not filling out all details on the form - which isn't correct, or at least not visible).

Waiting for support to get back to me - but in the interim can anyone give me some feedback/ideas?

Thank you!

Steve

Replies
se Johannes Genberg Replied 5 years ago

I too have no intention to steal anyones work. People got to eat. I just hope we can come to an agreement that everyone will be satisfied with.

Catalan Stephen Holton Replied 5 years ago

Bansh33 - no worries; I had no intention of reselling your work, and I have plenty more for you in the future if this works out. I'm not terribly concerned bout recouping some of my development costs, so I'm assuming that the best/easiest solution is to just make Johannes a licensee as you would for any of your components.

us Rishi B Replied 5 years ago

you guys can feel free to cooperate, but just fyi: I will not be happy if I find out that a component I wrote has been resold without my express permission.

I'm not really sure what I need, only about what I want: a notification system inside the website that tells people when there has been updates in groups, forums, events etc. I don't really care how it works, as long as it gets the work done and look good. If we want the same thing, I'm happy to cooperate.

for the record, Johannes actually asked about something slightly different, to which I responded (and offered my email if he wanted to contact me): https://www.opensource-socialnetwork.org/discussion/view/3471/showing-group-forum-events-etc-posts-in-ones-flow

also just fyi, I generally I will not sell someone else a component that I' developed for somebody else, unless there's been an agreement to do so. I expect the same professional courtesy as far as others reselling my work (again, unless there's been an agreement to do so).

Catalan Stephen Holton Replied 5 years ago

Johannes - happy to work together, but I've already engaged a developer... I suspect that once he's done, he will sell you the component - as he has a number of these.

Feel free to reach out to me at [email protected] and I'll share the details with you.

This is actually something I want too. I'm prepared to chip in, if the component can show updates for every thing: forum posts, events, new commercial pages and updates, new group posts, new files etc. Everything.

you'd probably need a custom component to do that. There are a few people on this board who do (paid) ossn customization/custom components - I am one of them. Feel free to email me if you'd like, contact info is in my profile.