Adding menu header to sidebar

Philip Lozier Posted in Technical Support 3 years ago

I see this question has been asked before, but not answered to any productive end from the few answers I saw. I hope I can find an answer this time.

I need to add a main header to the menu on the sidebar, that drop down sub-menu items can be added to. Yes, I have searched high, and low, through everything trying to figure it out... I'm at a loss. I have struggled through much of this brain-buster trying to get a system I am comfortable launching as a "starter" setup, and am almost there, but not quite. I would really appreciate somebody who knows just telling me the LOCATION I can take care of this, if they just
don't want to give me the answer straight away, because I can't figure out where it can be and, man, have I looked. Actually, been up some 30 odd hours working on this beast while I have the time.

Situation is I have put together over a dozen sub-menus with grids of HTML5 game links on them under different genres with the custom page builder. They all interact perfectly, all is good, ready to rock, and now I jusy need one tiny little item that says "GAMES" on the sidebar so I can use the menu builder to just simply drop them in under there. Would be nice. LOL! Nicer if menu builder had that part in it, too. (hint, hint)... the possibilities would be endless.

Anyway, that kind of rambling is what 30 something hours of OSSN frustration does. Thanks in advance, I hope.

Regards,

Phil

Replies
us Philip Lozier Replied 3 years ago

Kevin... you know I have ABSOLUTELY every intention of putting a portal on this thing that will connect to a live BBS system on my server? yup. They have such a portal. Connects to a telnet enabled BBS. For mobile users it can even drop an on screen keyboard. Gonna set it up just to put the old school doorgames online. via a web interface rather than a telnet client Have 'em ALL. L.O.R.D., Usurper, Trade Wars 2002, DoorMUD, Exitilus, and about 100 others... all actually registered, too. Gonna be a full circle kinda thing.

gb Kevin B Replied 3 years ago

My first modern was 9600 baud rate... And I used bulletin boards before the Internet left the military world and went public.

I intend on giving back to the community.

As I may have stated before... I have been around the online communications community a long time. I am an old time BBS SysOp. Mid 80's started my first system. We were the pioneers of what you now call "social networking". Running on shoestring budgets, and only community support for our software needs, we hobbled together systems that provided worldwide message networking and file sharing for home computer users who had modems, and could figure out how to use them.

Sloooow. 300, 1200, 2400 BPS... that "bits" per second. And turnaround time could take a day to several depending on how many packet hops your message traveled round trip, as only one hop per day. But... hey... worldwide messaging and file networking for home computer users BEFORE public internet.

In those days, censorship, thought control, and speech policing were considered dirty, filthy, nasty, concepts... we still feel that way. That is why I am doing this. i have many... MANY... group admins from FB, that want to migrate their memberships and other sources as well, that are not happy with ANY of the commercial endevours that are trying to offer platforms. I am trying to tailor for them quickly, as the communications I have had have over a dozen ready to start the shift process at the drop of a dime at my say so. They are tired of being threatened with having their groups and pages shut down or their personal accounts terminated.. I also have some of the old schoolers from the old network (Fidonet International) ready to jump onboard in support capacity if it is shown this shift will occur.

I have a considerable amount of money tied up in this, so you can rest assured that as soon as I have the system up to at least start accepting these people in... I WILL be doing the CRASH COURS all the way around in PHP, CSS, and MySQL. Not taking this lightly at all, but time is of the essence to at least get the Alpha version of the site up.

regards,

Phil

Lol honestly no need to send any money. You may struggle with OSSN though unless you brush up on your skills because the community is very small, and I've seen them getting a bit of abuse from people with unrealistic expectations.

I've only been active on here 3 weeks myself but hopefully can share a couple of tidbits here and there.

Ah... just saw the line at the end. Too late... he is now Kevin the magnificent... tough nuts on him if he doesn't like it!

Kevin B,

ALL of this information you gave me is very valuable to me. It helps me along a great way, and I appreciate it very much! I have been putting custom container values in the theme and they have been working out for me. Other things I have been using the custom CCS component as well. I just didn't want to go dropping stuff in "willy nilly" with this, though.

What you just shared will put me online with this a little quicker, I think.

Once this is actually out there, in at least a presentable form to me, I have vowed to myself that I am going to sit down a few hours a day and go over some PHP and CSS courses so I can work the crap out of this thing on the VM development server I have set up on a spare machine.

Anyway... THANK YOU, again... I'll gladly send you some beer money for taking the time to lay some of this out for me. Hell... I'll even send enough for you and a couple of the boys to get a good buzz on! LOL!

Phil

I don't have time to figure out how to re-order the menu items, i'm afraid you'll have to have a go at that yourself.
I can tell you how to change the icons though.

If you inspect the menu items, you'll notice the "li" has a classname of:

menu-section-{your section name}
or
menu-section-item-{unique identifier}

So if you add to the CSS for the theme (GreenByGreen is /plugin/defaults/css/core/site.php ):

.menu-section-{your section name} i:before {
    font-family: FontAwesome;
    content: "\f0c1";
}

}.menu-section-item-{unique identifier}:before {
    content: "\f075" !important;
}

And refresh the page, you should see custom icons.

You can use the Unicode numbers from Font Awesome Icons

If you want to name the unique identifier, just add

'name' => 'unique-lowercase-name',

line to each of the menu items you are registering.

For the record, i'm not a PHP developer either, just a hobbyist, but I use Notepad++ for all my html/jQuery/PHP dev. The syntax highlighting is excellent and makes things nice and easy.

As you aren't making a component, you can put it in the theme instead. It works the exact same way.

Open your "ossn_theme.php" file.
Find the first line that reads:

if(ossn_isLoggedin()) {

Then underneath that, add the following chunk of code from Arsalans solution:

ossn_register_sections_menu('newsfeed', array(
                'text' => 'Google',
                'url' => 'http://google.com',
                'section' => 'searchengines',
                'icon' => true,
        ));
        ossn_register_sections_menu('newsfeed', array(
                'text' => 'Yahoo',
                'url' => 'http://yahoo.com',
                'section' => 'searchengines',
                'icon' => true,
        ));

Save the file and refresh your site.

You should see something like the beneath (which I added to my site to confirm):

enter image description here

No need to rename your children. :P

Yea... not a php guy either, yet, but that's what I'm getting out of it, too. Used to be a day when my favorite page editor was notepad, and I could do some cool crap... but times have changed. A dozen and a half years later I get this wonderful project in my head... no turning back now! LOL!

I'm actually looking to create the main item... Menu Builder will handle putting all the sub-menu items in after that. Just one stinking little item, in the right place, is all I need... and I have a ton of pages to throw up.

Straight HTML... if it was able to be done in that location... 30 STINKING SECONDS. DONE. Nooooooooo... hoops, hoops, and more hoops.

Gotta love it!

Think I'll sleep now. Got enough other stuff accomplished for now.

Been up about 28 hours... fixing to lay it down, and go back at this later. Thanks for the input.

Phil