Cron Job for Friend Suggestions

William Shoap Posted in Component Development 3 years ago

Is there such a thing as a Cron Job that can send friend suggestions to members, to promote social network usage?

Replies
us William Shoap Replied 3 years ago

Z-man, this is PERFECT. I don't think a cron job is needed. Thank you so much. I don't know what "Profile Views" is so I will check that out first.

German Michael Zülsdorff Replied 3 years ago

There's a normal component available now, see
https://www.opensource-socialnetwork.org/component/view/4880/contact-suggestions

What was your idea about making this a cron-job?
What exactly should that cron-job do?

The Latest Members component could be a start if you don't get hundreds of new registrations daily since it shows at least the 15 latest ones.

Another idea would be to develop a derivate from Latest members with a database clause showing a number of random members who are NOT your friends. That's what may be easily retrieved. Everything beyond is where the real work starts. Because what does it mean if you see a member, but don't click it? Should it be displayed again? Didn't you click it because you're not interested, or because you're in a hurry? You'd have to store reactions like that if you want to make it smart ... and that's a real challange and it will take days of developing.

Yeah, that makes sense. What I’m really after is how do you get people to find each other apart from having to do a search?

us Philip Lozier Replied 3 years ago

I agree that the facebook friend "suggestions" are beyond aggravating, annoying, and udeless... LOL! But, that's just me.I find a lot about facebook aggravating and annoying... it does still have some usefulness though... only because of the sheer size.

William,
you wrote "Facebook has done this for a long time and it works to get people connected." Really?

99% of these suggestions I see on facebook only make me wonder - at best. Sometimes it's a 20 years old girl I don't know, one day later I get surprisingly confronted with a bunch of older guys I don't know either. And all that's left is only guessing: Is it perhaps a friend of a friend of a friend? Did we accidentally click the same animated gif? Or what else may we have in common? All in all these suggestions don't make very much sense to me - they're nothing but annoying and superfluous.

Well, it may be that I'm just too old to be crazy about things like that - but of course I'm still curious. So I actually took the chance and asked that girl: He Honey, Facebook wants me to befriend you ... can you imagine this walk on the wild side? But in return there was no promising doop-de-doop - there was just silence. And that was that.

It would have to be more like a friend suggestion than an friend request and both users would have to add the other as a friend. Facebook has done this for a long time and it works to get people connected. This would boost usage.

For right now, I would start with a piece of data we collect such category. If two users are not friends, but have the same user category, then randomly pick one user from a list of matching users and initiate a friend request.

No, I don't think so.
What algorithm do you have in mind to get reasonable suggestions?