Social Networking Component for OSSN

Allon Prooit Posted in Component Development 3 years ago

I have developed a new component based on my Arcade script. This time it ports various social networks into OSSN. The only problem... it doesn't work quite right yet. In order to make it work I have to bypass the DENY typically given to iframes trying to port websites in. This component attempts to import Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Tumblr. It uses a simple JavaScript to accomplish this. I think it will be easy to make it work. Just have to tinker with it a bit. Anyway, the component is available HERE. Please let me know what you think of it. Thanks!

SOCIAL

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

INSTAGRAM

TUMBLR

This topic has been closed!
Replies
Indonesian Arsalan Shah Replied 3 years ago

If website is not allowing to be used in iframes that means their terms and policy is you can not embed in iframes doing it they may trace back your traffic and can block your website from facebook :) Ok since you requested to close this topic, I'll go ahead and close it.

us Allon Prooit Replied 3 years ago

Please consider this discussion closed. The Social component is now published and the Google component will be perfected and published soon enough. Thanks!

Wow, talk about a free market. So, I recoded the Social component to show all of the embeds from various social networks and will be publishing it as a new component shortly. For now it is available HERE. As for the Google component, I will look into your suggestions Michieal. Many thanks for all your kind thoughts but I have no intention of creating problems for anyone. Aren't all my efforts indicative of such? A successful port of facebook would only be as secure as the website serving it? Nonsense. Facebook is as secure as you can get but you would be opening up yourself to password stealing if you did do so. Only as safe as your site is really. Anywho, I changed it to make it so you can turn it into a business card type component that ports your various social network feeds so yay!

us Michieal ~ Coder ~ Replied 3 years ago

Uhm, Google's offered a free plug in for translating webpages for ever. I think it's a script include.

You might be able to include a public facing page for the other services. Otherwise, you will need to develop it as an "App" to get the security tokens.

And, while I admire your passion about "Cracking the code to allow free porting is one of my big things. Any free service should be portable!" I also know just how weak web security is, and and that there's more than a few ethical and moral issues with what you're trying to do, that I don't think that you see.
From security, to copyright issues, to the fact that what you want to do violates every one of those services' terms of service.
If they do not provide a plugin... and if you do not use said plug in in the allowed ways... then your idealism is going to get you into some serious legal issues. Their site knows how it's being served. And, you really need to understand that this is... well... one of those ideas that seems great in your head, but is a whole can of worms when you try to make it. If, you can make it... It's one thing if it is for just your use; it's another thing when it's being used by others. And, the first time someone's account gets hacked, or looks like it's being misused in any way, you're going to get sued. Even if it's an injection attack by someone else.

And, in the current political climate, with things like the EU's GDPR and the like... this is a really bad idea. Like, I'm awestruck by how bad this can go. And, I can say I would never use it.

I am super not trying to discourage you, or damper your idealism... but you're idealism is telling you that it's a wonderful idea to hijack and effectively steal someone else's products and market them as your own. And, that's not a cart that I can back. Sorry.

-M.

Once again, I have developed a secondary component that ports various Google pages in. It is available HERE. So far Search and Maps work, but Gmail and Translate don't. Would love to have some help with these. Cracking the code to allow free porting is one of my big things. Any free service should be portable! Needs a server-side include I think but both of the projects I think have a lot of promise for previewing and making use of major site's functions. Especially the embeddable social network pages and widgets. Any thoughts?

Yes, I agree with you for the most part Michieal... it is somwhat risky and hard to do but, you can port an embedded facebook, twitter and tumblr in to show a nice preview to you website users. Escpecially if this is a business site and you want to have a link to your Facebook page, which I know you can embed easily instead of trying to get all of Facebook land in your site. With Twitter I'm sure you could embed their tweet widget. Same with Tumblr. Instagram too! As for the Google component, it has some promise, especially with commercial sites wanting to have a translation function for their users. Still though, this is the internet and you should be able to show or port any free service anywhere for convenience sake!

Google Search, and Maps... that's a good idea. Putting most users email into a page inside of your site... no.

Allon,
I have to agree with ZMan here. The idea is to keep people in and focused on your own social network. Telling them what's going on, in FB land or Twitter is not a good idea.
Also, you're not going to be able to bypass the DENY for IFrames, as it's a built in security feature to prevent things like identity theft, account hacking (because these sites are used for authentication), etc. And, programmatically, you have access to the content of the iframe. Meaning that no one knows what you'll do after they "log in"...
But, back to the technical issues - IF it's even possible, then each user will have to override the security, and that opens them up to a ton of attacks from hackers. So... great idea if you want all of your users to be hacked easily by others?

-M.

Just got finished with a modified version of this... I made a component that ports various Google pages into OSSN. Once again though, having issues making it work right. Google search and maps can be ported, but Gmail and Translate aren't working right. Regardless, my Google component is now available HERE. Needing people to help make this one work too. Any help is appreciated!

Firstly, it's a good example of what can be done with the arcade component in a few hours or less. Secondly, it's for being social! Thirdly, I use facebook constantly and would rather not have to navigate away from it to check my notes or what not. Lastly, I agree that there is a big lack when it comes to how iframes are handled and served. This can always be fine tuned though given enough experience with them. Also, the issue with us not being able to embed other websites is hit or miss. I could change all these easily to other websites that do allow porting, like Google and all it's accoutrements (Translate, Maps, Gmail, and others). What's it good for? Example, extension, expertise, and experience!