Free vs paid support and upgrades

John Miller Posted in General Discussion 2 years ago

Good morning everyone. First, let me say this is a very good platform with which to build a social media, especially for those of us who have very limited coding skills.
That being said, I was impressed with the free version and the support that is available in this very forum for the free version so I upgraded to the paid version advertised several otherwise paid components, premium support, premium themes and lifetime license and upgrades.
It is understandable that they cannot get to all the installs on our timeline so I did the install myself and for the most part the script works very well out of the box.
To that point the only actual problem I had with the script (other than those of my own making was the fact that the chat did not work on mobile, but the green by Green theme fixed this problem and provides a nice looking site (Thank you Zman).
Once died installed the paid version there was a few things came up which I contacted their support team about and was told that maybe they would be fixed in future releases.
When it came time to upgrade to the 6x , I upgraded and the upgrade reverted my site back to a free version with a link to the new developer website in the footer. To remedy this I was told to use the old version because my support had ran out.
Eventually they did provide a core update link which broke the site when installed according to their instructions, and is only fixed by replacing the new files back with the 5.6. when I turn in a ticket on this, again I'm told there's nothing they're going to do because my support is run out.
Maybe it's just me, but I was under the impression that if we are to pay for upgrades at work, or have to fix the code or self like some of you are capable of doing, that should be advertised up front?
So somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't lifetime license and upgrades somewhat imply that the site is going to continue to work and the upgrades are going to work as advertised?

This topic has been closed!
Replies
Indonesian Arsalan Shah Replied 2 years ago

I am closing this topic as its going into wrong direction. It was initially created for paid support now its going into OSSN 6.2 and PHP version problems. I checked the OpenHost247 account details of yours and seems its running PHP 7.4 you need to switch to PHP 8 (Under Multi PHP manager).

enter image description here

us John Miller Replied 2 years ago

The ?? Is just a habit I have developed, don't read too much into it.
The overall statement was more of an acknowledgment that it was time to upgrade PHP, not really a question.
It's like when you pose the question "John,
what can we do better?"
Knowing that I have encountered a wide variety of dialects and figures of speech on this site I understand that this is probably not so much a question, but more of a statement that you feel you've done all you can, which is probably true. And that's fine. It would be the same as if I asked "what more do you want from me??"
Again I digress, because this entire exchange is not about your green by Green theme, there have been no surprise issues with that. It looks like you are quoting from the very clear requirements for the theme, but This particular part of the thread was me wondering what else I missing because the ossn installer file told me I needed something I already had. But I see on the GitHub site that the oversight is now being addressed and the language has been corrected.
I have uploaded the 6.2 files to a different host running PHP 8, and still getting the same error so I now assume that I need to download the new installation files that appears to have been corrected today.

German Michael Zülsdorff Replied 2 years ago

I was referring to
'So I take it I need to upgrade to PHP 8??'
or... better said... those 2 question marks.
Since my requirements section actually leaves no doubt that you need PHP 8.

Michael, the error on the ossn installer script said I needed 7.0 or 7.4.
As I have that I was simply trying to figure what I was missing (which surely indicates that I am missing something)
Arsalan pointed out the requirement on the issues page so I am uploading now to a different host running PHP 8.
Not that it really matters for now, it is dev and Not going on a production environment. I am using this as a study to brush myself up on long outdated coding skills so I have no need to depend on support for the occasional issue I encounter and Hopefully I can one day contribute something of value back to the free community.

German Michael Zülsdorff Replied 2 years ago

John,
what can we do better? There is a page where the installation requirements are clearly defined. Still, you seem surprised that you need PHP 8. Do you just not read something like that or is it incomprehensible ... or what else is the reason?

Indonesian Arsalan Shah Replied 2 years ago

OSSN 6.2 requires php 8.0+ so correct it requires, besides that it is a development version not for production use.

That would likely be the problem Arsalan, ,,
So I take it I need to upgrade to PHP 8??

Ok, the download answer was simple.
That said, the installer script is asking for PHP version 7.4 which I have.

Yes, I'm not seeing that option on my end. I had a program on my PC that would download via snv check out but not on my phone. And as I said, the PC is down.
And I realize that once I get home from work and have a chance to look at everything the answer may be very simple and I will feel less than intelligent over this entire ordeal.