Open Source Social Network?

Allon Prooit Posted in General Discussion 1 year ago

I started using OSSN about 3 years ago when it was OSSN 5.0. I felt it was the best social networking software to make of use of because it was called open source and came with the potential to be built up to be godlike among social networking schemas. I overlooked the misspellings, the improper grammar, and the like because I believed in the quality of what seemed like a nice swiss-made watch of a thing. Now some 3 years later I am out thousands of dollars worth of time, and investment and left with a product that I can't get support for unless I upgrade to 6.6 and lose years of good solid customizations of what I thought was open source software. The project "owner" Arsalan has indicated that this product of his is not "open source" but rather closed source and proprietary when purchased as a premium product. What should I say? I will keep working to make my version of OSSN 5.6 work to the best of my ability. I will continue to post components to my github for those of you who are like me to use and make changes to. I am sorry I can't upgrade to OSSN 6.6 despite having already paid for it. The upgrade fails, the primary buttons don't work, and I keep having to fall back to 5.6 time and time again. I wish it would work, but something isn't quite right with my dedicated server service or something along those lines. I'll probably try to upgrade one last time in the future, 3rd times a charm right? Regardless, I am taken aback that the creator of OSSN has decided to say that it isn't really an open source software option. I would like an apology before this topic gets closed. More so, I would like the OSSN community to respond as a whole. This is open source! Is it not?

Replies
us Jason Lester Replied 1 year ago

After looking I see that they have multiple LTS releases including a 5.6 LTS. 5.6 LTS was released in Nov 2020 over two years ago. It's pretty normal for them to drop support at this point, though I haven't found where they state support duration. You need to ask how long they support LTS releases and keep that in mind when upgrading the components you've created. That's my 2 cents.

Your issue seems to be more of a support complaint. Maybe OSSN should be clearer on how long they will support previews versions, especially if you paid. But that has noting to do with it being opensource. Virtually all opensource project reach a point where they no longer support past releases. For example, Ubuntu states their release cycle for this very reason here https://ubuntu.com/about/release-cycle . If you paid for the product without them being clear that would be where your complaint has merit, but it has nothing to do with the license.

us Allon Prooit Replied 1 year ago

I am free to use the product, and dare say that because it is called Open Source Social Network I am free to alter, edit, change, transmogrify, and evolve the product I was sold, much like Facebook has with their copy of OSSN 3.0. At this point, I am being told time and time again that they cannot help me due to it being OSSN 5.6 that I am working with. This seems preposterous at face value. It is open source! Is it not?

Are you are not still free to use the product that they offered to you the same as when you first started using it?

enter image description here

OSSN 3.0 became Facebook. They made it GOLD!