How do I clear up old notifications

June Taylor Posted in General Discussion 5 years ago

My question is : Is it safe to clear out old messages and notifications in PhpMyAdmin by
"select all" and "delete". If not, can you tell me a safer method or commands to safely use.
Would I need to highlight the category on the left or run the command generally ,on the database.
thank you.

Replies
us Rishi B Replied 5 years ago

Arsalan and co really don't like when people suggest doing anything to database directly, so I'm going to start by saying I don't recommend you do this unless you're experienced with SQL (and php) and have made a backup copy of your database.

I don't think there's anyway to clear old notifications through the ossn admin interface. Running delete queries can never really be considered "safe" (especially if you're not confident in your own sql/php skills), but (perhaps) a slightly safer method would be to delete notifications that are older than a certain date rather than all of them, since they're timestamped (albeit with a unix timestamp, which is a little annoying, but you can use the from_unixtime() MySQL function for that).