Whhich One is Better MySql or MariaDB?

Adi Sharma Posted in Beginning Developers 5 years ago

Hello All, I am totally confused which is better Mysql or MariaDB? I want to know which compatibility and Segmented Key Cache is better. I am currently using MySQL 5.7 version And sometimes I felt MariaDB is better as compare to Mysql and whether it has any kind of effect relocating from MySql to MariaDB?

Replies
us Rishi B Replied 5 years ago

MariaDB is actually a fork of MySQL. From wikipedia:

MariaDB is a community-developed branch of the MySQL database, the
impetus being the community maintenance of its free status under GPL,
as opposed to any uncertainty of MySQL license status under its
current ownership by Oracle.

Essentially what happened is that after MySQL was purchased by Oracle and they started making changes to the codebase that would essentially make it into more a commercial product (like Oracle's primary db software), a few open source developers did not like the direction that Oracle was taking things and decided to develop their own "branch" of the software that was originally MySQL. As for which is "better" - people have many different opinions, for many different reasons, but it is quite telling that popular packages like XAMPP (apache-friends.org) and probably others that I'm unaware of have chosen to include MariaDB with their easy-to-install-stack, rather than MySQL.

Indonesian Arsalan Shah Replied 5 years ago

MariaDB and MySQL are same and both works for OSSN, now which is better this question need to be asked on some DB forum.