Delete messages after a week is that possible

Darien Brown Posted in General Discussion 5 years ago

I think old messages are filling up my website is there a way to set it to delete messages after a week

Replies
jm Darien Brown Replied 5 years ago

i never take anything admin say personally and i havent been talked down to by anyone.... im just here to learn and get help when its needed thank u for the new component

us Rishi B Replied 5 years ago

If any admin (besides Z-Man) wants a copy of these emails you can contact me offline.

@Arsalan, I understand your position - and I'm not taking anything Z-Man said personally. However, you should be aware that in the past roughly 6 months, MULTIPLE people that have gotten my contact info from this board have contacted me by email and actually told me that they feel so intimidated by Z-Man's constant rude, abrasaive, and generally obnoxious behavior that they don't even want to post their questions here. I can think of 3 people off the top of my head that have said this to me just within the last 6 months. I know there were at least 2 in the recent months prior to that. If that's the kind of community you want to build, then by all means, Z-Man, continue talking down to people.

German Michael Zülsdorff Replied 5 years ago

@Darien

A Delete Messages component is available now at
https://www.opensource-socialnetwork.org/component/view/3640

Indonesian Arsalan Shah Replied 5 years ago

@Bansh, i beleive your solution is good if you are using older version than v5.x . Your solution will work flawless for deleting the messages of course for v4.x and will work on v5.x but there is problem.

• Messages have entities associated with it.
  • Hence if you delete messages directly from database you will leave behind the unused entries in entities and their metadata.

As for open source software you are free to modify it as per your need, modify tables, files whatever you want.

• Heredont' touch the database and files if you don't know what you are doing is for people like Darian, they are not developers and may not even know what is this mysql command and how it works.
  • So instead we need try to provide a solution that may work for all users.

For everyone, Please don't take replies from admins personally, they are meant to teach. If you don't agree with any please reply back with a reason, questioning with why you don't agree and how things should be done.

I hope things are clear now and make sense. Further zetman already done work on delete messages since this discussion and in testing phase.

As usual, Z-Man, you've been incredibly insulting without being at all helpful to anyone.

You shouldn't modify your database if you don't know what you are doing. That goes without saying, but there's nothing wrong with the solution I suggested. If you don't want people looking through the schema and figuring out how it works on their own, then DON'T RELEASE IT AS OPEN SOURCE SOFTWARE AND CREATE A COMMUNITY AROUND IT. You could also, you know, actually try to be helpful, but it's clear you'd rather stay in that ivory tower of yours. Have fun buddy.

German Michael Zülsdorff Replied 5 years ago

Sorry, no.
I wouldn't be available for 24/7 support, that's why I stay with doing some free components from time to time, but no work on demand.

Zman I was asking if u do custom components also

Zman the same goes for you too

Bansah I only asked if he looked into as yet because he said he was going to and in no way was that message me acting like no one is obligated to my concerns. I obviously have no knowledge of the ossn software except for maybe how to add ads and things like that. Arsalan do u do professional services because you seem to know a lot more about this software I would like to get some custom features. I've already both the video feature and paid for migration etc so I am willing to spend to improve my product