Yahoo email server bounces invitations.

Jim Ford Posted in Technical Support 4 years ago

I'm finding any invitations, either using the site 'Invite Friends' or through 'normal' email, get 'bounced' by yahoo's server and never get to the recipient.

Does anyone else have this problem and if so have you overcome it (without confusing the recipient by obfuscating the URL)?

Jim

Replies
German Michael Zülsdorff Replied 4 years ago

You're welcome! ;)

gb Jim Ford Replied 4 years ago

All OK now!

"sendmailpath = /mycustom_path/exim -t"

as suggested in the link did it.

Many thanks for your patience '~Z~Man' - you've made an old man very happy! ;)

Jim

Well,
since Ossn is not a command line program but based on PHP you have to configure PHP to work with exim correctly - not Ossn.
Please understand that basic server setups like that are beyond the scope of this forum, and I'd recommend to find the necessary information on pages like https://stackoverflow.com/questions/28408777/use-php-mail-function-with-custom-exim-installation instead.

(I'm typeing this post in a text editor, and copying and pasting it into thethread, to avoid getting logged out like I did last time!)
Exim was working OK a while back, but when it was mentioned that there was a SSMPT Component I thought that as it was 'tailor made' for OSSN, it should be the way to go.!

I uninstalled exim4, installed ssmpt and the SSMPT Component (installing ssmpt uninstalls exim and vise versa)

I couldn't get ssmpt working, so I disabled the SSMPT Component and re-installed exim.

Now emailing from the command line works fine, but 'Invite Friends' in OSSN doesn't, so there's a problem with the connection between OSSN and exim. There are no entries in the /var/www/html/error_log

Jim

I give up!

I typed out a detailed description and when I went to post I was logged out and the post wasn't posted!

Many thanks for the help '~Z~Man' and Arsalan.

Jim

Hmm, maybe I got something wrong, but 2 weeks ago you said 'it's working fine' ?!?
https://www.opensource-socialnetwork.org/discussion/view/4041/installing-site-on-a-raspberry-pi

So: Did you change anything in the meantime?

Anyway, and before too much guessing into the blue ...

• if not already done, enable Error Reporting from your Ossn admin backend (Settings-Basic)
  • open the file components/SMTP/ossn_com.php with a simple text editor
  • and between line 54 and 55 add the following code

$mail->SMTPDebug = 4;
$mail->Debugoutput = 'error_log';

• save your change, and invite a friend from the frontend
  • open the file named error_log in your Ossn root, verify the logged SMTP connection and you'll find what's going wrong

Thanks for the replies Arsalan and 'Z~Man'.

"Alternatively you may use a SMTP component and find some good SMTP provider."

I tried the one 'Z~Man' recommended with both the google and virgin media smtp servers, with no improvement

I'm getting pretty frustrated with this and can hardly believe that I need to set up a full blown email server, just to 'Invite Friends'.
Jim

Thanks for the prompt reply, Arsalan.

I looked for a SMTP Component, but couldn't find it in the Components Downloads.

(I really would like to keep setting up email as simple as possible! )

Jim

Indonesian Arsalan Shah Replied 4 years ago

Alternatively you may use a SMTP component and find some good SMTP provider.