I need to hack the theme

Steve Blu Posted in Theme Development 4 years ago

There's no theme that I can see that really fits what I need. Is there any documentation on how the theme structure works? I don't expect WordPress level of theme tutorials, but in 30 minutes of looking I'm no futher along in understanding how it all fits together.

Replies
us Shane B Replied 4 years ago

After spending a couple of days (and consuming plenty of coffee), I'm slowly learning where everything is located. Again, I didn't mean to come off harsh, rude or disrespectful. I guess you could say I was just trying to figure this out, and wasn't prepared.

I decided to install a simple home server setup on my desktop, so I could try working on these files without ruining anything on the site. Needless to say, it's been a big help.

Thanks for the response and tips!

German Bob Weston Replied 4 years ago

using your browsers inspect element you can find almost anything.
It takes some hunting around and searching through files as described in the link that was provided but it can be done..
I have completely revamped GoBlack4.5 because it was just a little too plain, but the design is nice so I went with it.
It looks a lot more alive now but I warn u.. changing one thing effects a lot of other things so it is time consuming.
I am just worried what will happen when the next update comes out because I edited the bootstrap.min files, pages.php, photos.php, groups.php, administrator.php and profile.php.. i am guessing I will have to reupload those files after performing the next update..

us Steve Blu Replied 4 years ago

First off, OSSN is the best type of profiles, photos and groups social media sites that I've seen. My problem is that I want to grow quickly. I'll take a look at the document that you referenced @arsalan. Thanks.

Indonesian Arsalan Shah Replied 4 years ago

@Steve,
You may see https://www.opensource-socialnetwork.org/wiki/view/1063/how-to-develop-a-new-theme

@Shane
Your developer may have experience no doubts but in specific tools, i believe. If a person is software developer that doesn't mean that he can work on all software it takes time to study.

You may ask your question directly. To get rid of human look into themes\Awesome\plugins\default\pages\contents\index.php

For both of you to answer your questions correctly.

1. What have you tried?
  2. What error did you faced?
  3. What steps did you followed?

You should look also https://www.opensource-socialnetwork.org/wiki/view/1137/how-to-find-something-a-word-pattern-in-the-source-code

us Shane B Replied 4 years ago

I would love to know more about the structure as well. For the last couple of days, we have been looking over the files (purchased the Premium, btw) and are a bit confused. How do you edit everything on the landing page (when someone visits the first time)? The current theme we are running, is "Awesome" and we would like to get rid of the little human icon above the registration box.

It feels like you are not able to edit everything, like you are led to believe, even after paying for the software (or it's complicated anyhow). Personally, I feel like this should be explained better, with some documentation or videos. We already have our own design and code team, we just need to know where everything is located. I'm sure others are frustrated.

I'm not trying to be rude or disrespectful, I just feel like something isn't right. My coder has 20 years experience, and he even agrees with me.