Privacy switching for members

Allon Prooit Posted in Performance and Scalability 2 years ago

How do we make the system allow for switching the privacy between private and public after the post has been created. This is important because if you try to post from your profile the privacy is default set to friends only and cannot be changed once the post has been made. If posting from the newsfeed page it is defaulting to public and also cannot be changed. This needs a fix. Either a fix to make the profile posting public or a switch so that you can change the privacy is needed for OSSN. Any thoughts?

Replies
us Allon Prooit Replied 2 years ago

Oops, I see you've already developed a component for this! Will give it a whirl.

Ok, that makes sense. So with the drop-down menu switch can we use the code for setting the privacy pre-post to change the privacy after posting? That's where I'm thinking the magic can happen. Any thoughts?

German Michael Zülsdorff Replied 2 years ago

Just make the little globe or friends icon be the button for the pre-existing function perhaps,

:)) Right that's where the pain starts: These little icons have no unique identifier leading to the post you want to change ... thus it would need some ugly script to traverse back through the nodes until you find the related post id.
Maybe these icons will get an id in a future release of OssnWall, but until then I will stay with the current menu entry solution. 6.1dev2 comes with a working change action now.

Good thoughts Z Man! I was thinking the code for the pop up window for selecting the privacy before you post could somehow be used again to select the privacy for the post. Could that be the best option? Is there any good reason you can't reuse that function for the already existing posts? Just make the little globe or friends icon be the button for the pre-existing function perhaps, or go with your idea for having the switch in the drop-down menu?

German Michael Zülsdorff Replied 2 years ago

My first idea was having a privacy toggle at the bottom of the edit post window, but currently I don't see no easy way to code it like that. A not so elegant but much simpler approach could be making that Privacy toggler part of the post menu like...

enter image description here

and derive the code from the Delete action.

see ... https://www.opensource-socialnetwork.org/component/view/5923