How to make the notifications and messages blocks disapear wherever I click on the page ?

Abdeltif CHEMANI Posted in Theme Development 5 years ago

I'm wondering how to make the notifications, messages blocks (on the top bar) and the smilies block (on the right-bottom corner) disapear wherever I click on the page. Just like the account settings block (On the topbar) wich is already having that fonction. It'dl be very ergonomic for users !

Thx in advance for your replays.

Replies
Tatar Steven downer Replied 4 years ago

Well,
I can only speak for my users that use OSSN as a community website and not for myself.

I have indicated previously and I shall reiterate here again, that I make these queries on behalf of my users, not myself. I bought OSSN premium as I believed it had scope., and indeed it is no Ferrari but then again if i wanted to go to a different platform that is cheaper i would have done so by now. I stick with OSSN as I believe in it....My users do not.

I do remember that I am posing in a Free OSSN forum, but when multiple issues arise Softlabs only allow 1 ticket to be open at a time. That is not to say I come here to solve my premium issues but the opposite as some of the issues, if not all, will affect users of OSSN at the free and Premium levels.

"When we feel it makes sense, it's interesting and last not least: when we have the time to do so."

the ability of developers to quickly turn out code that resolves issues is apparent, as your own most recent contributions have shown, which, if you bothered to read my comments on your contributions, I gave you thanks and praise to which you deserve.

When i speak, i speak for my users and thus on issues that affect users of the OSSN community in general... I am not attempting to create a bespoke site just for me....but I/ we see the issues as a wider matter that should be made standard, not beg for it like pulling teeth at the dentists.

i have no disagreement with you, but to then say the Mobile issues I have raised (that affects everyone, not just me) is causing you to get tired of my continuous raising of issues, then simple answer...ignore me and all of the users that could benefit Softlabs in the long term to purchase a product that we cannot get refunds on if it does not work as others do.

I am here to use and enhance OSSN free or premium....If you cannot see that then I cannot help you. Get off my case and assist the users of the product use it better...That is what I want...You do not seem to want that goal and lose the attitude.

Aside from that: I have installed your recent contributions and they work.

German Michael Zülsdorff Replied 4 years ago

Well,
I can only speak for me, but I'm getting tired of your continous

I would buy that Mercedes-Benz if it offered a little more Ferrari
feeling

talk, Steven.
My answer: Then get yourself a Ferrari.

Remember, you're posting in a forum for free OSSN, and yes, the already existing functionality MAY BE enhanced by people like Daniel, me, and others. When we feel it makes sense, it's interesting and last not least: when we have the time to do so. And not because we would feel obliged in any way. We're no hired programmers in need to compete - we're just contributing in order to give something back to the originator.

Aside from that: I just built 'The Closer' an example on how to close the notification box.

I believe this has now been coded:-

https://www.opensource-socialnetwork.org/component/view/3691/the-closer

Works for me....

Thanks

An example of this working :

If you click the Down icon next to the Notifications on the top bar, you will get access to Account Settings, to Log out or to view Reported Contents or to Delete Account......

If you click anywhere on the page....preferably in a blank area to avoid clicking and activating another feature.....then the drop down menu disappears.

the same action appears to work if you click the down arrow on a post to view "Report This" post or "Delete" the Post or to "Edit" your post, then if you click anywhere on the page, that drop down list disappears...

I think that feature is what Abdeltif has queried

It should be made standard, I agree.

An example of this "not working" is if you click on the Smiles button on a comment box, the Smiles window pops up and stays up....if you then scroll down the news feed or the page, the Smiles window stays active and on display.....the only way to get rid of it is to click on any Smiles icon button only in any comment box.....instead of just clicking on a blank area of the screen to avoid accidentally clicking and activating another feature with a click on a non-blank area. there is sufficient blank grey space between left and right side and also in the middle news feed for this to be implemented.

from what I have both seen and read on other platforms, it is not "difficult" to code in.....you just have to know how to do it in either php or javascript

But again it is just another nuance that my users have reported and prefer to use other platforms more so for their ease of use and user friendly interface.

German Daniel Teich Replied 4 years ago

I can only agree. this feature should be standard. I do not know any other social platform on which the menus must be closed similarly user-unfriendly. if i just want to quickly check my notifications as a user, i would like to continue scrolling and do not press the same button again. Unfortunately, I have not found a solution myself yet. the button for the settings already has this ability - just the other menus you have to close awkward on the button

To an end user, there are advantages and in the main, they do not have to go to the same icon button to close the applicable window box.

Conversely, users may want to click on anywhere on the page that is a black area and not mistakenly clicking on a part that has action on a click.

I for one, as bot a user and an admin can see the advantages and can see that it is required....as suggested, a non-Softlabs/OSSN developer is best working it themselves as it appears to be some reluctance by developers to do something that other platforms have as a default.

German Michael Zülsdorff Replied 4 years ago

No idea ... i don't see any advantage ...
If I intentionally open a formerly hidden section of a page by clicking an icon, why not closing this section by clicking the same icon again - instead of (mistakenly) clicking somewhere else on the page?

I think what is being asked is:----

When you click either the Friend Requests, the Messages or the Notifications icon buttons on the top bar, the corresponding box that opens for each remains "active" or on screen and the only way to get rid of it is to click the corresponding button again.

I do not think it is being asked to make the icons them "disappear" but make disappear the "window/drop down box/whatever you call it" that opens up on the icon being clicked by "wherever I click on the page", being anywhere on the page itself, beit on the newsfeed or links on the (left panel).

If you have the "Messages" icon clicked and its "drop down window" open for example, then when you click on the drop down links list or any other part or even the fa fa-th-list icon on the top bar, the "messages", etc, window remains open. You must click only the icon again to close it.

Surely you should be able to click anywhere on the page to simply close the drop down window box that is open

Indonesian Arsalan Shah Replied 4 years ago

This will require surely a custom JS that will hide notification panel, again its bit tricky because anywhere in page includes those notification icons, the content of notification etc.