Ok I’ve located my ffmpeg binary but video uploads still fail

David Johnson Posted in Technical Support 4 years ago

Even two second test videos say they are too big. Sometimes it just says “upload failed”

Also where can I edit the 125mb limit? Anyone?

Replies
German Michael Zülsdorff Replied 4 years ago

David,
if things go wrong the reason(s) will be logged if logging is enabled. So please follow the steps as advised in https://www.opensource-socialnetwork.org/wiki/view/1101/how-to-report-a-bug-error
and provide more details.

Just something that came into my mind since you said "I’m a guitar player with a website. Not a programmer".:
Actually, there ARE musicians who would build their own axes and even wind the pickups before going on stage. 😎
See https://formentera-guitars.com/en/onyoutube/

us David Johnson Replied 4 years ago

Thank you z man.. I have not been able to try that as of yet. Also some of it is a bit above my technical grasp: i have to to figure out how to execute a Linux shell command inside my cpl

Also your faq says something about my php being able to execute ffmpeg commands (paraphrasing) maybe that Is the entire issue ? I have some learning to do.
I’m a guitar player with a website. Not a programmer. I’m figuring it out
I appreciate your help. I will apprise you as soon as possible .

David,
I'm still waiting for your response.

German Bob Weston Replied 4 years ago

I don't know if his videos are converting, I am not David.
I was just offering him some information on what my server has and that it works fine.
I also can provide the steps to install it on CentOs.

Indonesian Arsalan Shah Replied 4 years ago

Now the videos are converting?
Besides that , i prefer to use Ubuntu or Debian , i just need to add PPA for custom ffmpeg and install specific version just by typing apt-get install ffmpeg... i don't wanted to break my head with centos.

German Bob Weston Replied 4 years ago

I am running linux with CentOs 7.5 installed.
I built my FFMPEG myself, it took a lot of trial and error to get it to work but I did it.
I wrote the installation steps on a note pad for future reference.
I could start a new thread and paste it in there for others to use but you need root access to run the commands.
I would only do that with permission from someone here because it is quite lengthy.
Anyways, here is how mine is set up and it works just fine:

[root@ds1 ~]# ffmpeg
ffmpeg version n2.4.14-2-g1cae2f002d-dataworld-technology.com Copyright (c) 2000-2017 the FFmpeg developers
built on Sep 6 2018 21:27:55 with gcc 4.8.5 (GCC) 20150623 (Red Hat 4.8.5-28)
configuration: --prefix=/root/ffmpegbuild --extra-cflags=-I/root/ffmpegbuild/include --extra-ldflags=-L/root/ffmpegbuild/lib --bindir=/usr/bin --pkg-config-flags=--static --extra-libs=-ldl --enable-version3 --enable-libvpx --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis --enable-libx264 --enable-libx265 --enable-libvo-aacenc --enable-libxvid --enable-ffplay --enable-gpl --enable-postproc --enable-nonfree --enable-avfilter --enable-pthreads --enable-libfdkaac --enable-libopus --enable-libfreetype --enable-libspeex --extra-version=dataworld-technology.com
libavutil 54. 7.100 / 54. 7.100
libavcodec 56. 1.100 / 56. 1.100
libavformat 56. 4.101 / 56. 4.101
libavdevice 56. 0.100 / 56. 0.100
libavfilter 5. 1.100 / 5. 1.100
libswscale 3. 0.100 / 3. 0.100
libswresample 1. 1.100 / 1. 1.100
libpostproc 53. 0.100 / 53. 0.100
Hyper fast Audio and Video encoder
usage: ffmpeg [options] [[infile options] -i infile]... {[outfile options] outfile}...

No idea what you mean with "Reply Option"? I mean: I CAN see your answer here. Anyway, to find out whether your ffmpeg is working or not,

• upload your video.mp4 to your home directory by FTP
    login to your server via ssh, proceed to your home directory and run ls -l to verify that video.mp4 is there.
    Now, try converting video.mp4 manually with the command

/usr/local/bin/ffmpeg -i ./video.mp4 -vcodec libx264 -profile:v baseline -level 3 outfile.mp4

If everything is running smoothly, you should see the newly created file outfile.mp4 short time later,
if not, you may get any kind of error messages which would be of interest.

It’s set to 2gb max memory 5gb I’ve tried 4-5 different ffmpeg versions

“Upload failed”’conversion failed “ some variant of those. I don’t know why I can’t respond to you. Z man. There’s no reply option.

Can someone show me an example of your site where it’s working ? I bought this thing and everybody acts like I’m an idiot because it doesn’t work. The binary is found, the php has been edited up to two gb. I should be able to post a two second test mov

ffmpeg isn't involved in uploading videos in any way.
Looks like your upload_max_filesize setting is too small.
You can use the system-info component to find out the current value.
The way to change it depends on your webserver. In doubt ask your provider.

Since there are about 20,000 versions of ffmpeg on their site anyone recommend one that works for you? I’m using the latest static Linux version