PHP 8 Non-Compatibility

Steven Legg Posted in General Discussion 3 years ago

I didn't see a thread about this so I thought I would create one and maybe some of you have more insight.

For those of you who like to upgrade don't upgrade to php 8 yet...my experience is it will not work. Here is my tale of woe. Back in December I came into possession of some old enterprise grade servers. I dreamed of moving my site in house to have more control over the hardware and data and save some money too (fyi don't take this on unless you know something about how servers work because it is a constant pain in the butt). Any way I have been playing with these servers using virtualmin as my panel just like I do with my actual vps.

I kept running into problems with virtualmin on my hardware so I switched to aapanel and am going to give it a shot (in the last 3 days I got to say I really like aapanel). I migrate the site over running it under a different domain that I picked up off of freenom.

Success...or so I thought. the site starts loading some funky errors. After trying to navigate around I finally get a deprecated error from my php guardian. That is when it struck me that I neglected php 7.4 in this install for php 8.0. This is an easy fix with aapanel. I can easily switch between the two. So I swap it around to 7.4 and boom site is working.

All this to say...remember friends don't update to the latest and greatest without having a test environment first! Sometimes all you will end up with is the latest and brokest :).

As for discussion: Has anyone else run into this issue? Is anyone working on updating the php to 8? I know for a lot of us any work in ossn is a labor of love. Also for reference this is an issue that plagues both softlab24 and the free ossn.

Replies
in Manish Dwivedi Replied 3 years ago

We are also getting such errors in php8 and php 7.4 version comes compatible than the newer version. We are also thinking to upgrade my SAM Web Studio Website to version 8 .

German Michael Zülsdorff Replied 3 years ago

Well, without a log I see no chance to find out what was going wrong. But since you mentioned that you opened a support ticket I assume you're running Ossn premium - so this is the wrong place to discuss issues anyway. This is a forum for people using the free version Ossn which is different in some places.

us Michieal ~ Coder ~ Replied 3 years ago

Z Man,
I actually put in a support ticket. What happens is that it says that everything is fine, until you get to the point of making the admin account. It either fails each time, or if somehow it does work and moves past, the site comes up as white. (For version 5.6).
My hosting package's default setting for PHP version is 7.3.27; and the install did not work until I changed that to 7.4. After that, and deleting the entire thing, and reinstalling it... it worked.

Michieal,
what exactly does it mean, it 'breaks' on install? Do you have an error log you could provide?

us Michieal ~ Coder ~ Replied 3 years ago

Yeah, I found this out the hard way. You need to be running 7.4 for things to work.
Also, 7.3.27 is also a confirmed fail too. (It breaks on install.)

Wow, what a story!

As for your issues:
Yes, PHP 8 is a little different ... and ... the developer team is of course aware of that.

Thus, if you still have a free server slot for an experimental installation, go and give it a try and download Ossn 6.0 dev from https://github.com/opensource-socialnetwork/opensource-socialnetwork

This is NOT MEANT to run a developer release in a production environment, but you'll notice that all critical incompatibilities have been fixed already and the next major release of Ossn is on a good way to be released soon.

Aside from that I'm right into making all of my own components 'PHP 8 ready / Ossn 6.x compatible'. To avoid any confusion I'm temporaly hosting them on https://comz.z-mans.net/.