Adding Gifs (something like tenor, etc)

Tom Whiting Posted in Beginning Developers 3 years ago

So, I'm in the process of starting out a community , and would love to be able to add tenor, giphy, or something like this to the post/comment textareas. Unfortunately, while I'm rather versed with PHP, OSSN is a completely differet thing. If someone would be so kind as to point me to the general direction of where I need to get this started, I'd be appreciative

I did take a look at the 'welcome world' component (the one supposed to be an example), and it's rather vague unfortunately, not a ton of help there

This topic has been closed!
Replies
Indonesian Arsalan Shah Replied 3 years ago

Hypocrisy is on its peaks wow! So stop telling lies ;) problem solved.

us Tom Whiting Replied 3 years ago

And that’s exactly WHY , right there, I’ll never do business with softlab again. I’ll just let the unprofessional actions speak for themselves right there . Talk about a MASSIVE privacy breach there

Indonesian Arsalan Shah Replied 3 years ago

@Tom, would you mind telling others what you have said about OSSN and still here? If not let me tell others, since

When you contacted softlab24 telling you can not enable cache,

We told you need to let us look into the issue so we can find out what is the issue. You said it is nothing wrong with server and mentioned to us that we are ignorant.

You said you are in development since 30 years

These are what you have exactly said:

1. The FACT is that your script, with, or without caching is CPU intensive.
  2. The FACT that you deliberately limit photo uploads, because you process things so poorly is just a joke
  3. The FACT that you cannot properly display said photo uploads on the homepage (clicking on the thumbnail , literally opens a thumbnail, NOT the photo) is a joke.
  4. As far as caching? If you're relying on 'caching' to speed up php, or try to make it less server intense, you're doing everything wrong. Not a surprise, though

Now you knows whose fault is this when you blame developers. You are in development since 30 years but you are not OSSN developer.

It's been a pretty crazy couple of weeks, but I've got a pretty decent idea on how to get this started. I'll have something , at least , personally, developed based on my information and knowledge.

As far as softlab, based on the interactions with them so far, nah, I'll eat glass before I give them any more of my money. They may know everything about the software, they may know it in and out, but the attitude from certain 'administrative' members , well, yeah, no.

us Philip Lozier Replied 3 years ago

Hmmmm... since you already have the process pretty well laid out, make a deal with softlab! Let them offer it as a paid component and split! No? LOL! Just a thought...

The 100 pounds I understand... what is the "ph"? "Per Hour"? BTW... softlab doesn't have a component like that. I have bought everything they have that could be of use to me. If they had it, I'd buy it in 2.2 seconds. Wouldn't be able to enter my payment information quick enough... for that, and maybe one with stickers as well.

gb Kevin B Replied 3 years ago

Hi there, as ~Z~Man said, I have got Giphy implemented in the WebChat plugin - and if you are not confident experimenting with PHP/Java, it's not something i'd reccommend trying to figure out for yourself.

What you need to do is:
1) Capture what people are typing and send as a search query to an API (Giphy in my case)
2) Receive the JSON response from the API, and then format the content to display on the page
3) Ensure you create clickable links in the rendered output so the images are clickable
4) Detect a click, and then place the image into the message - at the same time also submitting it to the database.

To ensure that the image is displayed correctly throughout the site, you'll need to extend the OssnMessages, OssnWall and probably OssnChat components (extend via your own component - NEVER modify the core components) so that they display as desired - otherwise you'll get odd results. I ended up creating a whole new table to store all the WebChat specific messages so that they did not interfere with the standard OSSN Messages and isolated WebChat from OSSN.

If you want somebody to write a bespoke component for you - I wouldn't be surprised if someone quotes you 20 - 30 hours, and you'd expect to pay anywhere from £30ph to £100ph depending on where you find a developer. If thats a little rich for your project, you'd be better buying off-the-shelf components.

I'm not sure if Soft24 already have an addon for this, but I would recommend purchasing components from them as they know the system inside and out.

Would be interested in seeing the feature implemented for messages and comments, even as a paid component. I'm willing to pay to have it done, but if I have to pay for the actual development then I expect to own the component and source code, or if I contract it out to somebody oputside of the OSSN Ncircle, WILL own it.... I would pay a reasonable fee for a public paid release, though.

German Michael Zülsdorff Replied 3 years ago

Well,
'having a look' is one thing - implementing the other.
Check out https://www.opensource-socialnetwork.org/component/view/4662/webchat-2-0-3-beta
to get an idea. Kevin's component is making use of the Giphy API already.

Philip is correct here. Anyone can upload anything if it's a 'photo'. That's not really user friendly, at all.

Take a look at how the 'big guys' do it. It's right there, embedded in the post, or reply text field